The Singing, Acting, Mac & Cheese Loving Marist Cutie: Andrew Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

You may have seen him performing in Marist College Singers’ Night on Broadway concert, singing a heartfelt Valentine’s Day serenade with Time Check, sporting his red polo as an Orientation Leader, or acting as the Tin Woodsman in MCCTA’s production of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Our Campus Cutie this week is actor, singer, mac & cheese enthusiast and good friend of mine…Andrew Brown!

Hometown: Cheshire, CT

Major: English-Theatre, Minor: Music

Year: Senior

Her Campus: Are you single?

Andrew Brown: Yes.

HC: Favorite Food?

AB: Mac & Cheese. Anyone who knows me knows my obsession with it.

HC: Favorite type of music?

AB: I have a whole lot of different genres I like to listen to. Anything from pop to classic rock to show tunes and even some jazz. I’m pretty versatile with my taste in music.

HC: Did you study abroad? And if so, where?

AB: Yes I did! I studied abroad in London in the fall of 2014. It was honestly the most rewarding and liberating experience of my life getting to assimilate myself into a foreign culture, even though I have been to the United Kingdom multiple times before. The difference between those past family vacations and my study abroad experience is that back then I was a tourist and last fall it felt like I was truly a citizen of the U.K.

HC: What is your best abroad memory?

AB: Every day was a great day for me abroad. Whenever I was free I would take the opportunity to explore London by myself. The goal was to get lost so I would just hop on the Tube (subway) and get off at a random destination and explore the area. I really tried to immerse myself in the city and every day I would find some new nook and cranny that I never found before. Another cool abroad memory that also comes to mind was going to the blue carpet premiere of The Theory of Everything, which was a few minutes away from my internship, where I got to meet Eddie Redmayne, Felicity Jones, and the director.

HC: Palace, Eveready or Table Talk?

AB: It’s a toss-up between Palace and Eveready. Palace is prime with its location so that one might win. But both places have amazing mac and cheese so they’re both good in my book.

HC: Do you have any interesting hobbies?

AB: I do play piano! I’m a little rusty with it because I stopped eight years of lessons when I was 15 but I still like to play here and there.

HC: What is your favorite Marist memory?

AB: Besides going abroad I’ve been heavily involved with the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts (MCCTA) and Marist Singers. Through multiple shows and concerts I’ve really enjoyed the arts. I have so many favorite memories from shows that I’ve been in and Singers rehearsals that I honestly can’t think of just one. Both clubs have had an enormous impact on my life and I’m grateful for that.

HC: What do you hope to do after you graduate?

AB: After I graduate I want to go into the casting industry. I actually dropped my education major at the beginning of the year after I realized that I didn’t want to be a teacher anymore – pretty crazy to drop your major senior year. But I’m much happier pursuing something I’m really passionate about. I’ve always loved “dream casting” people into roles for shows or movies so I would love to do that in reality and match the face to the part.

HC: What is an interesting fact about you?

AB: I traveled to over 40 of the 50 U.S. states in high school one summer when I went on a religious youth group trip. I love traveling, so to be able to hit up the majority of the United States in seven weeks was like a dream to me. One day I’ll get to the ones I didn’t reach like Colorado, Hawaii and Washington.

HC: What’s your biggest pet peeve?

AB: Slow walkers and tourists in the city. There’s probably more but that one never fails to frustrate me.

HC: What’s the number one quality you look for in a girl?

AB: Being genuine and great to hang out with. Personality always makes a difference because who wants to be around someone who’s a terrible person?

HC: Most embarrassing first date story?

AB: For a fairly awkward person like myself I haven’t had too many embarrassing first date moments. Maybe when I was 18 and neither the girl or I had a car so I had to have one of my friends drive us to our destination, which felt like a parent dropping off their kid on a date.

HC: Who or what has inspired you most in your time at Marist? 

AB: The clubs I’ve been involved with like MCCTA and Singers, my professors, and definitely my friends.