Senior Sendoff: HC Marist Contributing Writer Courtney Martere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Name: Courtney Martere

Major/Minor: Communications (Journalism & Advertising); Minors: Psychology & Women’s Studies

Hometown: Watertown, Connecticut

HC: Congratulations on your graduation Courtney! What are your plans after graduation?

CM: My plans are to let it rock! I’ve never been much of a planner, so it’s only expected that I don’t have a job lined up for after graduation. The biggest career dream I have is to work at Buzzfeed – maybe even be the female version of Matt Bellassai (AKA the guy who is paid to get wine drunk at his desk and complain about stuff.) But for now I may stay a bartender in CT, work as a tour guide in Florence, Italy, or move to NYC and actually use that $150K degree. Only time will tell…

HC: Can you tell us how writing for Her Campus Marist has helped you in your career and social goals, and how you hope writing for Her Campus National will continue to benefit you?

CM: Writing for Her Campus was one of my favorite parts about Marist. Not only did I meet some truly inspiring women, but I was able to practice my journalism skills by writing about things I’m genuinely interested in. It was the first time I was free to insert my personality and (what I think is a decent) sense of humor into my work. I can’t thank the Marist chapter enough for leading me to Her Campus National – the first national publication I’ve ever contributed to! I will continue to write for them after graduation, as I hope it will bring me one step closer to that dream of working for Buzzfeed.

HC: What do you think you are going to miss most about Marist?

CM: The campus itself. You really can’t beat watching the sunset by the Hudson or lounging on Marist Beach in between classes.

HC: What is something you wish you could go back and tell your freshman year self?

CM: I would tell her: People always say that college is the best four years of your life, but that’s a lot of pressure. The next four years aren’t going to be easy, you’re going to make mistakes, and you’re going to grow and change, a lot. But don’t stress too hard, because everything it going to turn out just as it’s supposed to.

HC: What do you wish someone had told you about being a senior in college?

CM: Being a senior is hard! And you’re nostalgic a lot of the time. The people you end your time in college with may not be the same people you started with, but that’s okay. This year may be the last time you see or talk to many of your classmates, so don’t take it for granted.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 or 20 years?

CM: By that time, I hope to have accomplished my goal of working at Buzzfeed. I also hope to have visited every continent, own at least five adopted dogs, and be living above the garage of Lo and Jerry (my Day 1 Marist friends)’s house in some cool city.

HC: What was your favorite aspect of being a part of Her Campus Marist?

CM: The kickass team of girls I wrote with! I’m super honored to have been a part of this chapter, and to have witnessed it become an official club on campus.

HC: Do you have a favorite article? If so, which one and why?

CM: The favorite article I wrote is “What Does Your Favorite Holiday Beverage Say About You?” I’ve had a lot of people tell me that they read and like this one. It allowed me to be super creative and talk about something I would have never made it through college without: Starbucks.