Pro Tips For The Perfect Concert-Going Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Concerts are an experience that I feel like everyone should be able to go through at least once in their life. With 10+ concerts under my belt, I think it’s safe to say that I’m pretty much a professional when it comes to attending concerts. I’ve been lucky enough to snag tickets to artists ranging from Ariana Grande to Post Malone (AKA the next one I’ll be attending). I’ve also seen my fair share of general admission and seated concerts. Now it’s time for me to pass down some of my knowledge with you all! Prepare to become a concert attending pro.

What to Bring:

• A clear backpack, fanny pack, or small cross body bag —  Many venues are changing their policies on what type of bags you’re allowed to bring, if any at all. Make sure you do your research before risking dumping your belongings. However, keep in mind you want to be as hands-free as possible, so you can film, clap, and wave your hands all night long.

• Your phone —  Obviously, you’re going to need this to be able to capture the night, stay in contact with friends/family, order an Uber, etc.

• Portable Charger —  Going along with the previous point, this is a necessity. If you’re planning on queuing outside the venue, it is important to keep your phone fully charged in order to prevent the tragic moment of your phone dying while you’re in the middle of recording your favorite song or trying to call an Uber post-show.

• Water and a snack —  It’s important to stay hydrated and fed while waiting to go inside. However, make sure you consume these items before entering the venue, because many will not allow already opened bottles and snack packs. From personal experience, I recently had to leave behind an unopened bag of Funyuns. LOL. However, some venues allow you to bring in empty reusable bottles. You can go to the bar inside and ask them to fill it up.

• Money, keys, IDs, etc —  obvious necessities.

• Your ticket —  can’t get inside the venue without it, duh. (Some concerts also allow you to present the ticket via your mobile phone, if you prefer to go green).

General Admission Concerts

General Admission concerts in short, are concerts that are standing room only, meaning that there are no assigned seats. Here are some basic pros and cons of GA concerts.

Pros:

-Allow you to get extremely close to the artist, and get the best view

-Typically less expensive tickets than seated concerts

-Usually in small to medium sized venues, meaning the concert is more intimate

-Surrounded by people who appreciate the same artist/genre of music as you (honestly one of the most heart-warming experiences)

-Freedom of movement and deciding where you want to stand

Cons:

-Crammed and packed in like sardines

-Risk of standing behind someone or a group that is obstructing your view (unless you’re freakishly tall then I guess this doesn’t apply to you…lucky)

-Can get pretty intense, especially if the artist is known to stage dive or have mosh pits (I’ve witnessed many people getting pulled out of pits because they fainted)

-Personal space is non-existent

-Popular artists tend to stay away from GA venues, since they need to house a larger amount of people in one space.

-Be prepared to look over hundreds of smartphones in your way

Some artists I’ve seen at GA venues are: Dua Lipa, Bad Suns, and The Neighbourhood. These concerts have truly allowed me to get as close as possible to the people I love. Queuing outside can depend on the popularity of the artist. I queued for Bad Suns three hours in advance, and ended up being second row with an amazing view. It really depends how much time you are willing to dedicate for the artist, and if you value getting a good spot over having space. Another thing to keep in mind is the vibe of the artist. This is important because it can determine how intense the crowd will be. For example, The Neighbourhood are more alternative, which has mosh pits and crowd surfing. Pop artists are less likely to have intense crowds. However, you have to keep in mind that there are always going to be inconsiderate people pushing to be front and center.

Seated Concerts

Seated concerts are typically in larger venues. These venues are often stadiums or arenas where popular artists frequently perform. Here are some pros and cons…

Pros:

-Assigned seating means not having to stress about getting a spot (You can arrive closer to show time instead of waiting in a queue for long hours.)

-Allow you more personal space to dance

-Easier to get to bathrooms, and concessions

-Allow you to dress up without the fear of ruining your outfit

-Venues are visited more frequently by popular artists

Cons:

-Tickets tend to be more expensive

-Less intimate

-Harder to get a good view

-Most seats are not directly facing the stage, meaning you may need to strain your head or body the entire night

-Certain seats have obstructed views, or muffled sound quality

-Larger venues = longer time spent getting in and out of the venue

Some artists I’ve seen at seated venues are: Shawn Mendes, Justin Bieber, and Ed Sheeran. I would recommend seated concerts more for first time concert-goers. They are way less intense and allow you to have more personal space. They are also better for people who don’t care much for connecting with the artist, and want to enjoy the show. However, seated venues make it more difficult to have a close view. Unless you’re on the floor, the best seats in the venue are the lower bowl sections, closest to the stage. These tickets do tend to be the most expensive, so make sure to keep that in mind. To get the best prices, try to snag tickets during pre-sales. Also, a lot of ticket sellers will sell tickets cheap the day of the concert, because they’re just trying to get rid of them. I’ve witnessed someone buy $800 Justin Bieber tickets for just $100!

Overall, the experience you have at concerts are what you make of it. If you are willing to put in the time or money to have a good experience, you will. Concerts are a luxury, and we should be grateful we even have the opportunity to go to them. If you have any other questions, be sure to reach out to me on any of my social medias! Happy concert-going!

Andra is a Sophomore at Marist College studying fashion merchandising. She has unhealthy obsessions over celebrities, concerts, and iced coffee.
Sarah Dorothy Lynch is a junior at Marist College studying Journalism and Public Relations with a passion for writing, travel, and bread (all varieties). If she ever met Emma Stone, she would likely keel over.