courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to My Friend Who is Always Late

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Every friend group has one. The late friend. They’re the friend who you spend 50% of your day waiting for, the friend who you have to tell ‘3 o’clock’ when you’re not meeting up until 6 o’clock, the friend who makes you want to pull your hair out. At this point, even Phatz knows to expect a delay because of your squad’s late friend. 

I mean come on, people! This is me 24/7. 

And when you say you’ll be there ‘in a minute’ and I wait for 2 hours and 34 minutes!? Definitely NOT COOL!

Why do you always get to be in control of when we go places simply because you are incapable of telling time? It’s just NOT FAIR (at all!)

“Oh sorry I got held up doing ____.” Yeah…I’ve never heard that one before!

Hang on let me just do some intense yoga breathing exercises just to stay sane, when in my head I’m pacing around the room hearing nothing but TICK-TOCK, TICK-TOCK.

And when you FINALLY show up, it’s like you have absolutely no understanding of the complete and utter time crunch that we’re under thanks to your lateness!

I honestly feel like you think it’s funny. Why are you giggling? You have no respect for my schedule or my life or me!!!! (I’m getting really heated over here)

So if you’re that friend, the one who makes my blood boil with your consistent disregard for being on time, YOU NEED HELP! This is a very unhealthy relationship. Let’s seek counseling ASAP.

Sincerely,

The girl in the friend group who is verging on a mental breakdown due to your perpetual lateness.

I'm a an English major, journalism and creative writing minor, puppy enthusiast, smoothie lover, from San Antonio, Texas. I am a junior at Marist College and an avid user of the panda face emoji.