books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Myth of “Studying Music”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

We all have our own idea of the perfect studying environment – maybe yours is tea, a comfy chair and a window to sit by. Or perhaps you prefer the soft background noise of the library, or the comfort and solitude of your own room. Every student is an individual who has their own way of learning. So why is it that most of us continue to operate under the assumption that instrumental* music is the designated “studying music?”

In our minds, instrumental music and academia go hand in hand. Supposedly, composers like Mozart and Beethoven make our babies smarter, our memories better and our sleep deeper. Meanwhile, in actuality, the genre of the music makes little difference. A child who was raised on Chopin has no particular advantage over one who was raised on Pink Floyd. Similarly, instrumental music is not objectively more suited for schoolwork than any other genre. However, that isn’t to say your music choice doesn’t matter.

Humans are musical creatures. Our brains are wired for it – which is why you find music in every culture throughout the history of mankind. For this reason, when we hear new music, we’re programed to pay attention. Our brains don’t know what’s coming next (and let’s face it, this unfamiliar music is far more interesting than your math textbook). So how do we remedy this? The answer is simple.

Listen to the music you like.

I know, a foreign concept. How is Ariana Grande going to help you study? But the science behind it is sound (no pun intended). Don’t you know all the words to your favorite song? Don’t you know right where the guitar comes in? This song is a classic. You know it like the back of your hand; you don’t even have to pay attention to know what’s coming next. It’s this kind of familiar environment you want to create for yourself when studying. The music in the background makes you comfortable while your work now has 100 percent of your focus.

So whether it’s classical, punk rock, rap or the “Friends” theme song, play your music and hit the books!

*fun fact: not all instrumental music is classical! This is a common misconception. Many of your favorite “classical” pieces are actually results of the Romantic or Impressionistic eras.

English Writing major Marist '22