burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Menswear Influence at New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Jessica Flatley

NY Fashion week certainly kicked off the SS18 season with a bang! From Tom Ford to Ralph Lauren, it’s no secret that the influence of menswear is creeping into women’s fashion.  Broad shouldered jackets, tailored trousers and everything in between were all the rage out on the runways. Tom Ford’s collection was accompanied by a dazzling hot pink blazer accented with a sexy coral rose jersey jumpsuit. The elements of femininity in the shades of pink and the masculinity in the tailored blazer are the perfect combination. On the same token, Victoria Beckham’s suit combo is delicate yet striking. The soft mauve contrasting with the harsh cuts of the blazer gives off a total “girl boss” vibe. Designers such as Alexander Wang and Ralph Lauren go for a stronger masculine vibe with different shades of grey. Ralph Lauren steps out of the box to go for a more edgy vibe with the houndstooth print. No matter the style or color scheme, menswear in women’s fashion is making itself known.