Marist Takes NYC Fashion Week with Kelly Cutrone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

In New York City, September means fashion.

Fortunately, Marist Fashion students had the fabulous opportunity to get involved in New York’s Fashion Week with Italian designer Francesca Liberatore and PR Maven Kelly Cutrone.

In addition to assisting Francesca Liberatore in her Fall show, Marist Fashion students produced her reprise show. The reprise show marks the first student-produced show in Fashion Week history, making it truly a unique experience for Marist students.

Fashion-loving students appreciated the first-hand exposure this experience provided. From dressing the models, lining up the runway looks, and running social media accounts, Marist students did it all.

Each student was responsible for an individual task that influenced the show. Some shadowed Ms. Cutrone by directing, while others worked backstage – dressing models, social media directors, or front house volunteers. Each person’s role impacted the show, and I can say firsthand that it was an amazing, eye-opening experience.

A few weeks before the show, students met with Kelly at her SOHO office, during which we discussed the ins and outs of fashion shows. She taught us everything we would need to know to produce our very own reprise show. After our two-hour meeting, we concluded with a pizza party on the cobblestone street outside her office. Working with Ms. Cutrone could be seen as intimidating, considering her reputation on the tv show “The Hills.” But, once we met, the excitement started flowing, and we all wanted to put on the best show possible. Ms. Cutrone is a highly respectable business woman, successful because of her work ethic and experiences.

As a Marist Fashion student, I have been afforded countless opportunities through the fashion department. This opportunity is one that I will never forget!

Images courtesy of Michelle Savino. 

Sophomore, Fashion Merchandising Major, Communications major, burrito lover, Dunkin Donuts enthusiast