The Marist Freshman Advice Starter Pack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Freshman Advice Starter Pack:

What all the cliché advice leaves out

Alright Freshman, this one goes out to you. You’ve likely heard it all by now: wear shower shoes, find your classrooms before the first day, take advantage of your unlimited dining plan, don’t mess up! Freshman advice is a second language to upperclassmen by now and, the truth is, it’s mostly because we wish we were in your shoes right now. To step onto campus for the first year is equally daunting and exhilarating. In order to make the most of your first year as a Red Fox ( or whatever you may be! ) check out the clichéd advice below — you may learn a little more this time.

1. Take Pictures

Don’t just take pictures when you’re in your “Friday night best.” Along with the sorority squats and sixth floor crew don’t forget to take pictures of the “little” things. There is nothing like looking back at a picture of your Freshman dorm room or that all-nighter you pulled during second semester with a friend or even the view from your dorm window. Trust me when I tell you that you will crave these memories. TAKE PICTURES — your TimeHop will thank you later.

2. Scrapbook

Okay, I am the last person to take up an art project to let off some steam. Instead I find myself hyperventilating over my artistic inabilities while covered in glue. Nevertheless, merely saving a scrap of your day is absolutely worth it. Like pictures, a copy of your first semester schedule or a ticket to your first SPC event will bring back nostalgia like no other. Even better, these seemingly useless scraps make great decor for that bulletin board you’ve been meaning to fill up.

3. Don’t forget about home

To many, this one is a no brainer. Call mom and dad. Call your brother and sister. Write to grandma. Skype with your friends. The thing about keeping up with your homelife, though, is that you can be creative about it. Have a Netflix series you’ve been watching with a friend? Check out the website Rabb.it to video chat, message, AND watch your show at the same time! Want to flex those writing muscles of yours? Turn to snail mail and make a pen pal out of your good friend! Have opposite schedules with a friend at another school? Use the time walking to class to leave them a voice memo or voice message! Embrace the 21st century!

4. Relax and Lounge

Take this as literally as you can: take advantage of your lounge space! Freshman dorms have this magical area where you can do anything from homework, ping pong, watch TV, goof off with friends, attend an RA event, or even take a catnap before that midterm you’ve been dreading. In many cases, the lounge is the heart of the dorm. It is also an awesome place to make new friends with students in your living space!

5. Make Friends

Make A LOT of them! DO NOT confine yourself to one group — college is too short for that and this is not high school anymore! The more activities you get involved in, the more diverse your friendships become! Just because you may enjoy Zumba and all it has to offer does not mean that all your friends need to be workout gurus. Try making friends with the girl next door who plays guitar every night. Try reaching out to the guy who you always pass by on the green. Once you get comfortable with a selection of friends, KEEP GOING! Meet as many people as you can so that you can start feeling at home at the beautiful school that is Marist College.

Cassie Carroll is a Senior at Marist College with a dual major in English Literature and Adolescent Education and a minor in Theatre. She is a member of Marist College Club of Theatre Arts and Dance Ensemble, loves naps, Nutella, and lots of coffee.