Low Budget V-Day Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1. Make a home-cooked meal 

This is a fun way to get together and do something sweet. It requires a little bit of money, and some creativity. Also, if you have been dying to try one of those Tasty foods on Facebook, or on a food Tumblr, this is the perfect time! Plus, you get to eat a fantastic meal for a fraction of the price!

2. Watch a movie

Watching a movie is easy. You can use Netflix, DVD’s, or a Redbox to find the perfect movie. Plus, you can have all the comforts of home, as you will be at home! Any snacks you want, any movie you want, anywhere you want. Plus, it’s less awkward to cuddle at home.

3. See what free and low priced local things there are to do 

Often, there are fun local things to do. Maybe there is a cheap local theater, musical, or class going on. Check local town boards and websites to see if anything is going on, or ask friends. A double date can be a lot more fun than a date with just the two of you.

4. Go to a pizza place 

Pizza places are a fun place that you can do lots of things. You can take out, or try something new. Plus, many have subs and chicken wings to order. It is a fun way to hangout, and get to know each other better.

5. Take a walk 

This is one of the most relaxing dates. Just a nice walk in the bitter February air. It is cold, so you can be close and hold hands, and discuss anything you want.

6. Listen to music 

Get to know each other better by figuring out what music they like. Make a Spotify playlist of all of the songs you both like, and then you can listen to it on this date, and future dates. It’s a fun activity that will last you a while.

7. See a movie 

This is definitely the most expensive on the list, but does not have to be. You can always get deals, and see a movie in comfy seats without spending $30. Many movies have matinee or morning prices, so if you can go in the morning, go then. Or, try to see if there is a theater locally that plays recent but not new movies, as these theaters are quite popular. Finally, search the web or your house and see if there are any coupons or discounts out there. Plus, if you bring your own snacks and drinks, you will save a ton. Movie theater popcorn might be scrumptious, but it’s not always worth $7.

8. Play in the snow 

This applies to all of those who live in cold weather. Playing in the snow, whether it’s making a snowman or having a snowball fight can be fun and bring out the inner child in anyone.

Hope your Valentine’s Day turns out fun and romantic, and that you do not spend a huge chunk of change.

Marist College student, Marketing Major Marketing/Advertising Director of HerCampus Marist, Treasurer of Marist Advertising Club Also in American Advertising Federation, Campus Ministry, and I write for the Odyssey Fun Fact I have sprained my right ankle 7 times.