Life Post-Abroad: Remind Me Why I Came Back?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in London last semester. Every day was full of adventure — from exploring everything London has to offer, to traveling around Europe and taking in all of the famous sights. My weekends were jam-packed with day trips around England and extended stays in France, Austria and Italy. During the week, I wandered around London’s many parks, cozied up with a book in my favorite cafe and shopped on Oxford Street.

Now, I find my weekends full of homework, meetings and rehearsals. During the week, I’m lucky if I can find time to hang out with my housemates or catch up on my favorite TV shows.

Why did I ever leave my glamorous European life behind?

My first few weeks on campus were not easy. I was yearning for my “London Life,” a life full of unexpected adventures and incredible opportunities. Everything around me felt dull and boring. It was truly challenging to find excitement in my monotonous routine of classes. I found myself slipping into a “Post-Abroad Depression,” and I didn’t know what to do.

Then, on any ol’ Tuesday, I rushed past the graduation countdown clock in Dyson and saw that there are less than 100 days left in the school year. While I’m not graduating this year, I was smacked with the realization that my days at Marist are sadly numbered. With graduation becoming more of a concrete concept, and post- grad plans taking up many of my thoughts, I realized that I needed to break out of my funk and take advantage of every second of my time left here.

Of course, I’ll always miss London, and if someone presented me with a plane ticket right now, I would be on that plane faster than you can say “Prince William.” But there are so many adventures to be found on campus and in the Hudson River Valley … there’s no reason to be bored here!

From here on out, I’m making myself a promise to enjoy each day at Marist. I’m also challenging myself to find something exciting to celebrate about every day … it will make each day seem more special in the long run. With only one year left at the best college in the country, it’s time to start taking advantage of everything Marist and this region has to offer!

Besides, there’s always London for grad school!

Photo credit: Marissa Russo

Marissa is a current Senior at Marist College studying English with a Literature concentration. She has minors in Psychology and Theatre, and is working towards a certification in Adolescent Education. Her biggest passion is the performing arts, specifically theatre. She is currently serving as the Vice-President of the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and the President of the Marist Chapter of Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theatre Honor Society. She is also an active member of the Marist Singers. After studying abroad in London last fall, Marissa has an obsession with all things British, and is itching to continue traveling the world. She is honored to be a Campus Correspondent for this chapter of Her Campus, especially with Nicole as a supporter and partner through this entire process.