samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to the Over-Committed Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Dear Overcommitted Student,

If I were to ask you to describe yourself in one word, your answer would be something along the lines of “tired” or “busy.”

From August to May, you juggle a five class workload, an abundance of extracurricular activities, a few leadership roles, and an active social calendar. But, that’s not even the hardest part of it all.

The hard part is mustering up enough effort to get things done. When you go to class, you don’t just sit idle in the back- you want A’s, so you put in hours at the library. At club meetings, there’s no chance you’re sitting in the back playing on your phone — you’re an active member who takes on any hands-on role you can get. You’re a vital part of everything you do, and you wouldn’t want it any other way.

The funny thing is, you’ve probably been this way since you can remember. You recall the days when your parents made you “pick one” activity and stick with it. The older you got, you realized how hard it was to balance ballet, horseback riding, gymnastics, swim team, and piano. Somehow, you managed, but your life has been a series of picking and choosing your involvement, and it’s something you’re (clearly) still working on.

Sadly, I know you won’t be slowing down anytime soon. But, promise yourself a few things: get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and make time for yourself. Keep living by your planner and rejoicing for Friday, because you don’t need to give up on being involved. Just make sure you save enough time and energy to do what you want, and to do it well.

Your Busy Friend,

Anna

Anna Marotta is a Junior at Marist College where she is studying Marketing. She is extremely right-brained and loves to write, create, and travel. You can find Anna with her ten best friends at Lola's Cafe or stalking dogs on Marist Beach. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram! @annarosemarotta