Style

Keeping Your Luscious Locks All Year Round

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

The winter is coming! The winter is coming! Whether this is good or bad depends on you and your favorite season, but I have found winter to be a little mean to my hair. Bottom line: dry, brittle hair is not preferred, while soft, non-frizzy hair is. So today I am here to share some of my saving grace techniques when it comes to keeping my hair healthy!

1. Minimal heat!!! 

Letting your hair hang naturally is the healthiest. Constantly straightening and/or curling can cause breakage!! Oh no. It increases the chance of getting plagued by split ends. Think of your skin on a hot summer day. The heat dries out your hair and just like that heat devices to alter hair DRY IT OUT. Yes, even blow-dryers can cause damage. There is nothing wrong with some bouncy curls or maybe some pencil straight hair for a special event, but please not on the daily. Your hair will thank you.

1. Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Water & Vanilla Milk Extracts Hydrating Conditioner

Not an ad, just a super honest review. This conditioner has saved my life… and my locks. I found this in the middle of my freshman year when my hair wasn’t awful, but it just wasn’t as soft.  Now my hair has little to no frizz, and is super bouncy and alive. Everyone I have recommended this conditioner to says the same thing! Try to condition every day or at least every other day. You’ll see the results soon!

1. Say no to hairbrushes.

WHAT?! I know I am getting some raised eyebrows for this. But trust me! Hair brushes often cause more breakage and lead to FRIZZ. DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNN. Try massaging out your hair knots with your hands. It will be a bit of time, but it will be worth it! Not only is it more gentle than a hair brush, but you are also massaging your scalp as you do it. This encourages blood flow and continued hair growth! Bam. Two birds, one stone. 

Source: Rosalee Beauty

1. Scrunchies

Tight ponies and buns might be your go to when rushing from class to class, but switching out that hair tie for a scrunchie will save you. Besides also looking totally retro and cute, it helps fight against hair loss. When pulled too tight, ponytails can actually pull hair out from roots, eventually causing it to fall out. NOT ABOUT THAT? Then go get yourself a cute, comfy scrunchie.

1. Hair CPR

Okay, so life happens. You wanna switch up your hair. GO FOR THAT LOOK, YAS! But don’t forget to care for your hair’s health. Main tip: Never leave foreign chemicals in your hair for too long. Make sure to shower as soon as possible to condition your hair. Putting a bit of coconut oil to leave in for the day after the damage helps to give it some life after it died a little. Lol.

Hope this helps, but don’t forget different things work for different hair types. Just make sure to be kind to you hair!