Janelle Monae’s “Dirty Computer” is The Masterpiece Our World Needs Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Janelle Monae’s “Dirty Computer” is an absolute masterpiece, with an amazing flow and messages that are extremely important in the time we are currently living in.  The artistry and production is evident throughout the entire LP, and I have been Iistening to it on repeat since it’s release last week. 

The influence of Prince, Monae’s mentor, is clearly seen throughout this album.  Monae worked closely with the “Purple Rain” icon, and he inspired her greatly due to his “free” nature.  This inspiration mixed exceptionally well with a modern and fun sound, eliciting a smooth nature with modern production essences.While these songs are all driving down the street with the windows down worthy, ignoring their importance as powerful forms of art would be a huge disservice.  What I love most about this album is the strength it evokes to certain groups of people that have been highly underrepresented and mistreated throughout history.  The album gives power to women, the LGBTQ community, and people of color.

“Dirty Computer” is extremely authentic and powerful, with lyrics that are incredibly moving and empowering.  This album’s celebration of self, sexuality, and freedom is monumental and absolutely necessary.  I admire Janelle Monae immensely for releasing this important LP that not only protests the many social issues our world is facing, but also motivates people to embrace their identity, and recognize their power.

Image Obtained From: Cool Accidents

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.