photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

The Importance of Giving Back During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Sydney Vita

During the Holiday season, we put our focus on spending quality time with family members, holiday shopping, and making holiday foods. The holiday season is a special time that many of us look forward to all year. We look forward to the little things, for example, getting a holiday drink, going to the mall to Christmas shop, and decorating for Christmas. Sometimes we put too much focus on all our excitement that we forget to think about all of the many families in need.

There are many families that are unable to provide gifts at Christmas time for their families. Every year, at my church, my family participates in giving a gift to a child. We have a tree at our parish for families to take an ornament off the tree that has an item on a piece of paper. Each member of my family grabs an ornament and buys that item to give to a child in need. There are so many ways that we can help those in need without going out of your way to make someone’s Christmas special.

Three different ways to help give back during the holiday season are: you can make a meal and bring it to a local shelter or kitchen, donate clothing that you may not need anymore, and buy a few extra cans or food items. These are just a few ways that we can show compassionate service to those who are less fortunate during the holidays. Even if it isn’t much, it means the world to others. As a community, many of us could make a difference in someone’s Christmas if we participate in giving back to others.