How to Handle Being Sick at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

It’s February. Also known as that post-apocalyptic time of year where germs are the only things that have survived. They’re on everything you touch: the doorknob, the light switch, the weights at the gym, your phone! Have you gone into hypochondriac mode yet?!

There is nothing worse than being sick while you’re away from home. While many of us feel that Marist is our home away from home, Mommy still isn’t here to take care of us. We’ve all been there, and we can all agree, it totally sucks!

1. 2 a.m. The night of a blizzard. Now seems like a good time to throw up.

2. My whole body hurts. Pump up the Advil!

3. I forget what it is like to feel normal.

4. I just want to go home.

5. “I know I’m 20 years old, Daddy, but I will keep crying until you COME AND GET ME!”

6. I don’t have enough energy to obsess over the work I am missing.

7. If I hear the term BRAT diet one more time…

8. I WANNA GO HOME!

Getting sick while you’re by yourself at school can be tough, but here’s a few tips to keep in mind:

1. Put everything you need within an arm’s reach. Water, Tylenol, TV remote, Netflix – all scattered around your head.

2. Go to the Health and Wellness Center if you can. They’re there to help. They once quarantined me with ginger ale and saltines. It was hardcore.

3. FaceTime your parents looking really sad and pathetic. Choke out some tears. Might get you somewhere.

4. DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! Dehydration = Hospital = BAD TIME

5. Lysol everything. Clorox wipes are your friend. As a preventative measure, wipe doorknobs, light switches, countertops, faucet handles, etc. with antibacterial wipes. If you do get sick, do it again! Spray Lysol everywhere (especially the bathroom)!

6. Wipe down equipment at the gym BEFORE and AFTER use.

7. Wash your hands. Obsessively. Go OCD with soap. Scrub! Scrub! Scrub!

Photo Credit