kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Get The Perfect Sunless Tan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

For years I have been self-tanning to get the perfect healthy tan during the spring and summer. However, it was not always easy to get the perfect tan and I have mastered the steps and products to use to get that coveted supermodel faux glow!

1. Exfoliation is key

Exfoliation is the most important step to getting a healthy tan and not ending up as a patchy mess. The right exfoliation tool is the most important product to have. I have learned that the best way to get a flawless tan is to exfoliate using a body brush 24 hours before you self-tan in the shower. Apply moisturizer to skin. This way when you apply your self-tanner, your skin will be prepped. I always exfoliate the patch-prone skin right before I self-tan to make sure I get an even finish. (i.e. neck, chest, and inner elbows)

2. Shave 24 hours in advance

Avoid the self-tanner settling into your pores, by shaving 24 hours in advance. This is more important to do when you are using a bronzing mousse, rather than a self-tan moisturizer.

3. Moisturize dry spots that are prone to getting too dark

This is a must! Moisturize or use body oil on your ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, and neck. This will allow the product to be evenly applied.

4. Use a tanning mitt

After my many failed attempts to not tan my hands, the only way to avoid “tan hand” is to use a self-tanner mitt. St. Tropez is the tanning mitt I use and I get perfect results every time!

4. Use a smooth back brush to apply self-tanner to back

The most difficult part of self-tanning is being able to self-tan your whole body and not end up being two toned on the beach! I could never reach my upper middle back using my self-tanning mitt, so this is a faux glow hack that I came up with.

5. Wash and moisturize your face before you tontour (tan contour)

When applying self-tanner to your face, simply apply to the areas that you contour. Apply the self-tanner, if you use a bronzing mousse especially, after you moisturize your face! Then apply to forehead temples, under cheekbones, sides of nose, and jawline. To apply, either use a self-tan mitt, or a contour makeup brush. This will give you a healthy tan that looks like you have been lying on the beach!

6. Apply to hands and feet last!

When you apply to your hands, pretend that you are gripping a baseball! This will allow you to evenly tan your hands, without getting your knuckles too dark!

7. Moisturize to extend your tan!

8. Wear Sunscreen

9. Use Neutrogena Makeup Wipes to Remove Any Patches That Develop During The Week

Here are some product recommendations!

I love St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse because I can customize my tan by wearing the mousse either 1,2, or 3 hours. Super easy and wash off after you wear for desired tan. I also love the St Tropez In Shower Self-Tanner, it is so easy and you just use in shower, wear for three minutes and rinse! Sephora, Ulta, and Amazon sell a St. Tropez kit that has the mousse, in shower tanner, and mitt all together! This is what I buy, and you can use the in shower tanner to maintain your glow longer in between using the bronzing mousse, which lasts about a week.