How to Choose the Best Halloween Costume for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

If you’re looking for Comfy & Casual…

You’re going to want something you’d wear to bed. Your best bet is any costume that involves comfy shoes like sneakers. Throw on a pro sports jersey and whip that hair into a ponytail and you’re good to go. Other classic go-to’s for the low-key gal: Risky Business, 80’s workout chick, or the ol’ flannel + denim shorts for a Daisy Duke look.

If you’re looking to be Scary…

What’s Halloween without a little fright? If you’re looking to go the horror route, first off, we commend you for sticking to this hallowed holiday’s roots. *clapping hands emoji* Zombies, Day of the Dead, the girl from The Ring… go ahead and play with that make-up and face paint. Just be careful to not induce an overly frightening Mean Girls moment.

If you’re looking for Pop Culture…

You were probably Katy Perry a few years ago. Perhaps you were Miley last year, or maybe you were more of the Katniss type. Either way, if you like being topical, we say keep it up! Celebs and TV/movie characters are always a great place for inspiration. Maybe go for Ariana Grande this year (tight high pony required) or slip into a white pantsuit for your very own Olivia Pope. And don’t worry about being dated; you can still totally rock that movie reference from a few years ago (that’s right, Black Swans).

If you’re looking for Simple & Sweet…

Take advantage of fashion staples you already own. A cute dress with a crown can make you a princess. A cute dress with a crown and a sash makes you a beauty queen. And a cute little black dress with a little crown and some pearls makes you Audrey Hepburn. Don’t forget to make use of that plaid skirt either, ladies; that doubles as early Britney or Clueless!

If you’re looking for a Group/Partner costume…

First things first, get everybody on board; otherwise you’re going to have a lot of explaining to do when you’re walking around all night without Thing 2. They’re so doable if you pick simple enough groups: Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Mario Party – just to name the classics. Don’t shy away from the Spice Girls just because every girl group wants to be the Spice Girls. And don’t be afraid to break from the norm; the Breakfast Club is totally doable or how about the characters from Clue?!

(And for any fellas reading this, can we please get an Anchorman group put this year?? We all need that photo opp!)

Photo Credit

GIF credit: Giphy.com

Senior at Marist College. Aspiring Writer. Avid traveler. Amateur tweeter. Lover of food, dogs, and all things comedic. Professional smarty-pants. Part-time goofball. Proud fan of alliteration.