Her Conference 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Welcome back to another year, collegiettes! Over the summer, I had the privilege to attend the Her Campus National Conference at Columbia University in New York City. It was an amazing day attended by some of the most amazing women I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. The lunchtime keynote speaker in particular, an executive for the magazine Town and Country, gave some wonderful advice that I’ve been eagerly waiting to pass onto you! So, my fellow collegiettes, here are four big tips on how to have success in your internships or future careers.

1.     Be naturally curious and passionate. Employers look for these qualities when interviewing prospective workers. They want to hire someone who REALLY wants to work there.

2.     Lead by example. This is a biggie because you always want to put your best foot forward and be able to show those in higher positions that you are fully capable of doing the job they hired you for.

3.     Be able to “sell ice to an Eskimo.” Basically, this means that you have to be able to talk a good game. If you plan on working in advertising in the future, this piece of advice is very important. Being able to handle yourself well in situations that involve a lot of public speaking is an essential skill for any profession.

4.     Create a good environment. If you aren’t enthusiastic about what you do, chances are the people around you won’t be either. Try to have a good attitude when going into a work day, even if you didn’t feel so hot when you stumbled out of bed that morning.

I hope I was able to give you all some good advice for your further endeavors. Until next time, collegiettes!

Photo Credit: Her Campus Twitter

Skyler Van Valkenburgh is a sophomore at Marist College with a major in Communications, a concentration in Journalism, and a minor in Theatre. She loves to sing, dance, and act more than pretty much anything in the world (seriously, ask her friends). Some of her other interests include reading, spending time with her fellow Red Foxes, and copy editing for the Marist student newspaper, The Circle. She has hopes of one day writing for a major newspaper or magazine. Only time will tell how far this collegiette will go! You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @skylerleighvv