Harry Styles Has Released His New Single “Lights Up” and I’m Obsessed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Harry Styles is back and better than ever–a seemingly impossible feat.

This past week has sent Harry Styles fans through a roller coaster of emotions.  From his cryptic tweet stating only the word “Do,” to random posters with the phrase “Do You Know Who You Are?” popping up around different cities throughout the world, the anticipation has been extremely high.

Styles finally decided to appease the masses, after 2 long years of anxious waiting, by releasing his single,“Lights Up,” today at midnight.  This song features a very different sound from any of the tracks on his previous self-titled album, leaning more towards Pop and R&B than his previous Soft Rock aesthetic. 

I for one, am a huge fan of this new direction, and was particularly enamored by the extremely vibey music video for this new single.  The video is darker than anything we’ve seen from Styles so far, but all the while possesses an air of freedom and self-certainty. The artistry is certainly present within the imagery and effects, leaving us attempting to uncover its deeper meanings.

In this groovy new single, Style asks the same question displayed all over the world on posters and billboards: “Do You Know Who You Are?”  He seems to know who he is more than ever before, premiering this debut with a refreshing confidence that makes his presence within the pop culture world virtually unavoidable.  People can’t look away, and they don’t want to. His sparkly ensembles, sweaty chest, and catchy new bop are just simply impossible to ignore.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.