This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

March signifies Women’s History month, a period in which we recognize the power, activism, and resilience of women throughout our history.  While it is important that we recognize the power of women all of the time, this celebratory month reminds us of the importance of empowering women around the globe.  

This month also serves as an opportunity to appreciate the women in our lives, and acknowledge their journeys and efforts.  I often think of how wonderful the women in my family are, and how they have shaped me into who I am today.  From my grandmother to my little sister, while generation gaps cause some minor differences in our interests and beliefs, one value has always reigned true: women are powerful.  

Our society is shifting, and while we are far from being perfect, the younger generation gives me hope.  While I’ve more recently started to educate myself on gender issues and on politics, my sister, at the age of 13, is already starting.  She is aware of the issues our society is facing, and she has a fire lit within her to make changes.  This generation has the ability to shape a world of peace and equality.  As long as we continue to empower and love those around us, our world will start to change. 

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.