Going Home After A Semester Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

After a semester of traveling, meeting new people, experiencing new things, and school work the idea of going home is a bittersweet one. At this point you’re bound to miss all of your friends and family back in the good ole U. S. of A., but you wish there was one more weekend to travel or just walk around your host city.

Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience as you’ve undoubtedly been told almost every day of your semester. During your time away, you’ve learned the culture of your host city, met new people, and have probably eaten some of the best food in your life. Your experiences are unparalleled and you can’t wait to share them with everyone back home!

During your last few days be sure to go out and revisit your top places in your host city; try to spend as much time outside and enjoying the city while you still can! Take all of the touristy photos you’ve been meaning to take and let it sink in that you may never be there again. Try not to spend your last days inside stressing over finals. Bring your study guides to a park, café, or plaza and enjoy studying outside – plus the sunshine will help you feel better too!

Once your bags are packed and you’re ready to go to the airport, you will be feeling a million emotions. You’ll be excited to go home, take a good shower, hug your family, and sleep in your own bed; you’ll be dreading the long flight(s) and layovers and you’ll be sad about leaving the city you’ve come to know and love. But don’t forget Dr. Seuss’s famous quote, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” Leave your host city smiling about everything you were able to experience and the memories that you will now have for a lifetime. 

Paige Moran is a Senior at Marist College with a major in Secondary English Education, concentration in Literature, and minors in Psychology, and Global Studies. When Paige isn't proofreading all of her friend's papers you can find her petting any nearby dogs and puppies, reading, blasting good tunes, or adventuring with her friends and her camera.