Gimme…My Money Back? Benefit’s Popular Eyebrow Product on Recall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

As ridiculous as it may seem, in 2017, good eyebrows are a girl’s best friend. For this reason, many people (myself included) have struggled to find an eyebrow product that really works for them, that enhances their eyebrows without making them look too “fake” or “phony.” My personal favorite, for years, has been a real gem of a product called “Gimme Brow,” by Benefit Cosmetics. When I say I’m a fan of this product, I mean I’m a fan. I’ve sworn off my treasure trove of other eyebrow products for Gimme Brow, raved about it to family members, and introduced this product to friends. Gimme Brow has been a staple in my beauty routine for what feels like forever now. Therefore, when I walked into my local Sephora on Black Friday only to find there was no Gimme Brow in sight in the Benefit section of the store, I was (slightly!) horrified. 

Upon talking to an employee, I was informed that Benefit actually had recalled the product as there was an incident where it caused eye irritation in a customer and therefore, I could bring my product back to Sephora for a full refund. 

The product, Gimme Brow. 

I did more research on this recall, and found a full press-release on the Benefit website, which you can read here. In the words of Benefit, the company “…is committed to the highest levels of quality and doing what’s right for our customers. Out of an abundance of caution, we are initiating a voluntary recall of our Gimme Brow product after discovering that recent batches of the product did not meet our stringent quality standards.” 

The article continues to mention that, if properly applied, it doesn’t pose a risk, but if it comes into contact with your eyes, there is the potential for eye irritation, and for this reason, it has been recalled as a precautionary measure. The company continues to add that they suggest current users stop using the product. 

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear this Black Friday, but the news I got. Darn! Looks like I won’t be finding a package of Gimme Brow in my stocking this Christmas. Instead, I’ll be asking Sephora to gimme my money back! 

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.