Five Things You Need For Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Natalie Ford

1. Doorstop. No one tells you to bring a door stop! However, when you get to campus it’s the thing you need most. A doorstop is helpful on move in day because you can prop your door open while moving all 27 of your boxes into your room. Once you’ve successfully moved in, you’ll want that doorstop to keep your door open as you invite people into your room. (It’s also good to have if your dorm has no AC and its about 80 degrees outside.) 

2. Dishwashing Liquid and Soap. So I bet you got all these super cute mugs as graduation gifts or “free stuff” during orientation or the first week. I know some of you even have a mug rack or cute mug storage. (Mine are in a nice little box.) I love a good mug and I use them ALL THE TIME. However, they get dirty after you use them and bathroom soap and a wash cloth is not enough to clean them. Personally, I didn’t think to bring dish soap or a sponge. But once you’re out of mugs…you’ll wish you’d bought some. 

3. A Metal Spoon. Plastic wear is great. However, when it comes to making hot food in the dorm, plastic spoons aren’t the best answer. I enjoy having metal spoons to mix my tea and mac n’ cheese. They will not melt and are good for trying to eat mostly frozen ice cream too. 

4. Storage Ottoman. This little piece of furniture is the greatest room investment yet. It’s small yet multifunctional. I use mine everyday. It works as an additional chair, a step up to my raised dorm bed, and a place where I store my socks. It’s probably my favorite thing in my dorm. 

5. Desk Risers. College dorms have little to no space, so in order to make more space in the dorm, you go up. I love my desk risers. They sit on top of my desk and create an aesthetically pleasing set of shelves. By raising certain items off of the base of your desk you can create more space for you to work with.