Five Reasons Becoming a Journalism Major is the Best Decision Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Going to a high school that put an extreme emphasis on the importance of going into a ‘STEM’ related profession didn’t influence my decision to become a Journalism major in the slightest. Though the journalism industry is currently evolving and the future of this important field is still a work in progress, I know that the need for strong, well-written journalistic stories will never cease and this field will surely survive and thrive in the digital age. I am convinced that becoming a Journalism major is one of the best decisions that I have ever made for a multitude of reasons. 

1. You tell stories. Obviously, these stories are factual, but as a journalist, you are telling the story of how something occurred, why it occurred, or providing a profile on a person. There’s something so incredible about the fact that the people you interview are trusting you to tell their story in an honest and objective manner. 

2. You break things down for the general public. Without journalists, it would be impossible to decipher what is fact, and what is fiction. Therefore it would be impossible to make an educated decision or form a fact-based opinion. Journalists help educate and inform. 

3. It can be super fun. If you passionately believe in something, write an opinion editorial about it. Part of the reason I love Lifestyles pieces and Op-Eds so much is because they are more ‘soft’ news…and soft news is super fun to write about!

4. It provides you with strong skills. As a journalism major, you learn how to effectively communicate, write, and research; all three are skills that would be of paramount importance in every industry. 

5. The written word is amazing. There’s nothing quite like the feeling after a really interesting interview with someone or writing the perfect ‘lede’ to a story…you need to be a journalism major to experience this! 

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.