First Impressions of Taylor Swift’s 1989

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

When Taylor Swift’s latest album 1989 dropped, I was dying to know what she’d been up to since the release of her last album, Red. Just like old times, Swift has released another album in which she rants and raves about her past conquests in the catchiest and most musical ways. She mentioned how this album is about finding herself, shifting her focus to her music career and being independent, yet nearly every song on this album is about (shocker!) love and boys. Though her personal description of the album is totally off, I can’t say I’m complaining—I’ll never turn down the chance to jam to a song about love or boys! I have decided to dissect ten songs on the album, though I highly recommend listening to them all.

1.     “Welcome to New York”

First Impression: The song is loaded with slight auto-tune and an odd vintage techno vibe. It sounds kind of like it’s being sung from a space shuttle that is landing in New York.

This is the perfect song for when you feel like taking your space shuttle down to New York City for the weekend.

2.     “Style”

First Impression: This song is highly rumored to be about Harry Styles of One Direction and as I was listening, I was like Nancy Drew trying to look for evidence. White T-shirt, long hair…the fact that that his last name is Styles and this song is called “Style”…I think I have all of the evidence I need. I am pretty sure it’s about Harry Styles—she basically needs to write at least one song about all of her exes and this is totally his song.

This is the perfect song to listen to while you apply winged eyeliner while you think about attractive boy band members with long hair.

3.     “Out of the Woods”

First Impression: The beginning is so trippy—it’s some dude literally making noises. “Out of the Woods” is extremely repetitive but also such a jam. I just want to know, are we out of the woods?

This is the perfect song to sing when you are literally in the woods on your way to get somewhere. It’s like “Are we there yet?” but more musical and danceable.

4.     “All You Had To Do Was Stay”

First Impression: This song is also supposedly about Harry Styles. I was trying to pull a Sherlock Holmes and conjure up some evidence that to lead this back to Harry but, alas, my efforts were futile. This could be about any of her relationships, considering none of her previous beaus have stayed. The catchy little “stay” parts in the background make you want to sing along even though they are incredibly high-pitched and might be humanly impossible to physically sing.

This is the perfect song to listen to with dogs since some notes are such a high frequency that I’m sure only dogs can really hear and appreciate them.

5.     “Shake it Off”

First Impression: This is just such a jam. It’s weird and has high school marching band vibes, but it’s so catchy. It’s impossible not to want to dance to this; however, her rap part towards the end is somewhat traumatic. Taylor, don’t rap. Do not say the phrase “hella good hair” and do not call your song a “sick beat”. Please.

This is the perfect song to reminisce about middle school to.  It has a fair amount of cringe-worthy moments just like middle school did.

6.     “Wildest Dreams”

First Impression: This song has such a dreamlike quality and it has so much nostalgia.

This is the perfect song for if you casually feel like running through a forest at midnight while wearing your old prom dress.

7.     “How You Get the Girl”

First Impression: This sounds like a song meant for a Disney movie. The chorus has a whiney sort of middle school quality to it but despite how annoying this song is, it’s catchy. She’s got this ability to make you want to sing along even though your finger is hovering over the mute button.

This is the perfect song to set as your alarm. You’ll be annoyed enough to wake yourself up to shut it off but entertained enough to dance a little while doing so.

8.     “I Know Places”

First Impression: Okay, this one is special because it mentions foxes and the Marist mascot is the red fox. She literally sings, “We are the foxes.” Yes, we are the foxes. Amazing. This song sounds like she’s getting ready to head off to war. Listening to this makes me feel like I should be wearing some sparkly camouflage and fox ears. It’s one of my favorites of the album and the mention of foxes is a little bonus.

This is the perfect song to jam to before Marist football games, literally just because of that one line about being foxes. Clearly I’m super excited about our mascot being mentioned in a T. Swift song.

9.     “Wonderland”

First Impression: This is such a cool Alice in Wonderland-esque song. There’s a sassy and magical sort of vibe to this track that I absolutely love.

This is the perfect song for when you accidentally fall down a rabbit hole and hit your head but still feel like rocking out.

10.  “New Romantics”

First Impression: The introduction sounds like a broken carousel and the song sounds totally unlike anything she’s done before. If I didn’t know this was Taylor Swift, I never would’ve guessed this was her song. The lyrics are about being proud of heartbreak which is a little surprising, but clearly she loves to talk about and publicize her heartbreaks.

This is the perfect song to jump on a bed and dance to while shouting the lyrics loud enough to make your neighbors and suitemates want to either dance with you or throw a book at your head.

Overall, my first impression of this album is generally positive. Each song is incredibly unique yet somehow the entire album is cohesive and has definitely earned its chart-topping status.

The final verdict: Everyone can expect to see artsy selfies captioned with lyrics from this album all over Instagram for at least a month or two. Embrace it. 

An avid lover of writing who offers a broad choice of sarcastic comments, endless rants and teenage girl musings and who probably knows too much information about pugs and make-up. Paige is passionate about writing, nail designs, and being fabulous for every occasion and mood in her life whether it’s the half-awake and sassy looks during the day or looking half-awake and sleep-ready for her nights. . She might actually be the goddess of a religion that has yet to be discovered. What a time to be alive.