Fall Fun: Hudson Valley Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

There is no lovelier time of year than a Marist fall. From the pumpkin spice lattes to the breathtaking foliage across the river, there’s so much to enjoy before the end-of-semester blues come knocking. No one does autumn quite like the Hudson Valley, so make the most of this season by getting off campus and exploring all that this region has to offer!

Fun on the Farm

The quintessential fall activity. The Hudson Valley is full of orchards and there are quite a few not too far from Marist. Most of the orchards also offer pumpkin picking, fresh produce stands, and most importantly, apple cider donuts. Nothing says fall quite like spending a day on a farm. And besides, no apple tastes as good as a freshly picked apple. The three best orchards to hit are Wilklow Orchards, DuBois Farms, and Fishkill Farms.

Fall Foliage Hikes

The best way to truly take in the beauty of the Hudson Valley this fall is to get outside and enjoy the views, so hiking is the perfect activity! We’re lucky to be so close to some of the best trails around. If you’re up to the challenge, try your hand at Breakneck Ridge in Highland or Mt. Beacon in Beacon. Both trails rank 10 out of 10 for difficulty on hikethehudsonvalley.com, but the views are spectacular (not to mention that’s some great exercise!). If that sounds a little too intense for you, the Mohonk Preserve offers trails for all levels of hikers, plus it’s right by New Paltz for a post-hike lunch. And for those looking for some really level ground that’s conveniently close to campus, there is always the Walkway Over the Hudson Bridge offering a leisurely stroll and a beautiful view.

Rhinebeck

The cutest little town you ever did see. Rhinebeck is about 20 minutes north of Poughkeepsie on Route 9, and while the storybook Main Street is delightful all year round, it gets a little extra special with the crispness of fall. With antiques, bakeries, restaurants, boutiques, and even wonderfully kitschy shops, Rhinebeck has something for everyone. Make sure to visit on a Sunday so you can explore the weekly Farmer’s Market and try everything from fresh produce to local cider (and did I mention there’s a rockin’ street taco stand?)

Hyde Park

For those who don’t like to stray too far, Hyde Park is another great town with a lot to offer. If you haven’t been to the FDR Home and Library yet, I highly recommend it –especially for any history buffs. Likewise, the Vanderbilt Mansion a little further up is a great place to explore. Both historical sites also offer leisurely trails behind the properties that are sure to make you feel like Pocahontas strolling through the forest before ending along the water. And the town of Hyde Park has it’s own set of fall activities. Try some autumn-inspired cuisine at the CIA, take a graveyard tour guided by lantern at St. James’, and sample a smorgasbord of street food at the Food Truck Festival on Sunday, October 5th (located directly across from Town Hall on 9).

Photo 1

Photo 2

Senior at Marist College. Aspiring Writer. Avid traveler. Amateur tweeter. Lover of food, dogs, and all things comedic. Professional smarty-pants. Part-time goofball. Proud fan of alliteration.