Fabulous Fall Flavors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Autumn has arrived, the leaves are changing, sweater weather is beginning, and the scents of pumpkin, apple, and cinnamon are everywhere. This week I experimented with a few simple, yet delicious, fall flavors and recipes. Enjoy!

Apple Cider Pancakes with Caramel Apple Syrup 

These pancakes are simple to make and taste great on a chilly morning. To make apple cider pancakes you will need:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 containers Greek Vanilla Yogurt
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 2 eggs, separated

Now that you have all of the ingredients you will need three bowls. In the first bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl combine the yogurt, cider, and egg yolks. Mix the wet ingredients and then add them to the first bowl.

In the last bowl beat the egg whites then slowly add the egg whites into the first bowl.

Mix all of the ingredients together

Once all of the pancake ingredients are mixed, heat a griddle over medium heat, spray the griddle with nonstick spray (or melt a small amount of butter onto the griddle), then pour the mix and flip your pancakes when you can lift them cleanly from the griddle with the spatula.

To make the caramel apple syrup you will need:

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup apple cider*
  • 1 cup brown sugar

*The amount of cider you use will result in how think the syrup is. For thicker syrup use less cider and for a thinner syrup use more.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter, then add the apple cider and brown sugar and whisk until it comes to a boil. Once it boils, whisk for one minute, then serve warm over your apple cider pancakes.

Nutella-Stuffed Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Not only does this recipe have pumpkin and chocolate, but Nutella too!? This recipe was a favorite amongst my housemates and friends.

For this recipe you will need:

• 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 and ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon allspice
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 4 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup milk chocolate chips
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  • ½ cup of chopped pecans (optional)
  • Nutella (refrigerated)

You will also need two mixing bowls.

In the first bowl, combine the flour and baking soda.

Next, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once the butter begins foaming remove it from the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then, in the second mixing bowl, combine the butter, salt, and sugars until they are blended. When they are blended add in the egg, egg yolk, spices, vanilla, and mix thoroughly. Now add the first bowl of flour and baking soda and mix thoroughly. Once everything is mixed fold in the chocolate chips.

Refrigerate the dough for 2-3 hours.

Once the dough is refrigerated take it out and put down a piece of wax paper. Roll the dough into your desired cookie sizes and place it on the wax paper. Make a thumbprint in the center of each dough ball and put Nutella in the indentation. Roll the dough into a ball again, completely covering the Nutella, and place the cookies onto a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are a golden brown.

Apple Pie Pockets

Our next recipe is a personal favorite of mine. It is an extremely simple desert I have been making for Thanksgiving with my family for so long that I can’t even remember the first time I made it.

For this recipe you will need:

• 4 large apples
  • 2 packs of Pillsbury crescent rolls
  • Cinnamon
  • Maple Syrup (I use light syrup)

Peel the apples. Some skin left is okay, but you don’t want all of the skin left on the apple. One the apples are peeled slice and dice them into small cubes. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and place the apple pieces into the pan. Pour the maple syrup into the pan to lightly cover the apples, don’t drown the apples in syrup but there should be enough to create a glaze. Add as much cinnamon as you prefer to create the apple pie flavor. Stir the apples until they are tender and soft, but not mushy, and turn off the heat.

Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray and lay out the crescent rolls. Put about a tablespoon of apple filling onto the crescent roll and fold over the dough to create a pocket. When all of the “pockets” are created and filled bake them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove the “pockets” from the oven, top with cinnamon, and let cool.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Our final recipe is also a simple one, my personal twist on Pillsbury Pumpkin Muffins.

For this recipe you will need:

• 1 box of Pillsbury quick pumpkin bread mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • Chocolate Chips

Make the pumpkin muffin mix as directed on the box. Then add as many chocolate chips as you desire using the leftover chocolate chips from the Nutella-Stuffed Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.

This is another quick and easy, yet delicious, recipe.

I hope you enjoy these delicious fall-inspired recipes. Happy baking!

Photo Credit: Paige Moran

Paige Moran is a Senior at Marist College with a major in Secondary English Education, concentration in Literature, and minors in Psychology, and Global Studies. When Paige isn't proofreading all of her friend's papers you can find her petting any nearby dogs and puppies, reading, blasting good tunes, or adventuring with her friends and her camera.