Style > Beauty

The Essential Guide To Glowy Spring Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Veronica Shaw

Spring 2019 is quickly approaching, and fresh, glowing skin paired with a juicy, bright lip and killer lashes is THE look. Use these products and tips, and watch your makeup go from Winter drab to Spring fresh!

Skin, Skin, Skin!

If you thought moisturizer was your bestie in just the winter, you thought wrong. Keep moisturizing your skin before you put your makeup on all year round… nothing is better than glowing skin!

First, apply a rosewater spray, like this one from Mario Badescu, before applying any of your moisturizing products. Dampening the skin allows your moisturizing products to work better and really deliver that glow we all desire without even applying highlighter!

Pick a moisturizer that works for YOUR skin. The Belif Aqua Bomb is super moisturizing and great for dry skin, while the Tatcha Water Cream doesn’t over-moisturize for you oily girls out there. Both definitely deliver a healthy glow!

Lastly, an extra hydrating eye cream is essential. This helps your makeup glide on smoothly and really brightens the area that shows how little sleep you got last night! Try the Ole Henrikson Banana Bright Eye Crème.

Foundation and Concealer

In the warmer months, I tend to stay away from thick, full coverage foundations. Opt for a tinted moisturizer with SPF, like the Laura Mercier or Bare Minerals one. Use a Beauty Blender or your fingers to really work the product into the skin.

Instead of heavy duty foundation, spot conceal where you need more coverage! The NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer is everything, especially when you want glowing, long-lasting coverage.  P.S. Elf’s new Camo Concealer is a total dupe for Tarte Shape Tape and covers those bags like a dream for only 5 dollars! Skip powder all together, or dust your face with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette to set your face without losing the dew.

Brows

Who wants to leave the “Instagram brow” in 2018?! Yeah, ME TOO. I love a messy, but controlled brow, and the Glossier Boy Brow achieves this look every time. It grooms them perfectly without making them look overly done.

If you still have sparse areas, fill them in lightly with a pencil, like the Benefit Precisely, My Brow Pencil.

Highlight and Blush

Opt for a cream highlighter, like the NARS Highlighting Stick.  Shade Copacabana is SO BOMB. Apply it with your fingertips on the highest points of your face BEFORE blush so your glow looks like it comes from within! Make sure to warm the product up with your before applying it so it really sinks into the skin and looks as natural as possible.

Apply a cream blush on top, like the Glossier Cloud Paint, and dab it on with your fingers on the apples of your cheeks and across the bridge of your nose. This really delivers that glowing, sun-kissed look you’re going for! P.S. Dab a little color on your eyelids for some extra oomph!

Lashes and Lips

Don’t apply eyeshadow and just focus on the lashes. Be sure to use an eyelash curler, this Shu Uemera one is my HOLY GRAIL, and then apply a thousand coats of Benefit Roller Lash on your lashes. 

For lips, use a tinted lip balm! The Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment comes in so many gorgeous shades and feels like a nourishing lip balm, instead of the sticky or drying feeling that comes along with gloss or a liquid lipstick. Choose a bright color that screams Spring to add some freshness to your overall look!

Finishing Touches

Spray your face with a dewy skin mist and you are good to GLOW! Happy Spring!