Entertaining a Friend at Marist Without a Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

The ultimate #struggle of having under 50 credits at Marist: you aren’t allowed to have a car on campus. So what do you do when your friend/bae is coming to visit, and your only form of transportation are pricy and unreliable cabs? No need to worry, because there are actually quite a few fun things to do at and around Marist that are within walking distance, including some amazing restaurants, because I’m sure you wouldn’t want to feed your BFF dining hall food.

Friday Night

Before hitting up Darby’s, treat your special someone to copious amounts of pasta at Cosimos Trattoria. Cosimos is Poughkeepsie’s Italian gem located on Delafield Street. It’s just up the road from Rite Aid, and will take you about 15 minutes to walk to from campus. But hey, the brisk walk will serve you well after eating an absurd amount of carbs.

Saturday Morning/Afternoon

No matter what time of year it is, you’ll likely find some type of sporting event happening on campus. Whether it be a football, basketball, or baseball game, let your friend borrow some of your Marist gear and show support for Marist athletics. Afternoon games usually start around 1, so if you wake up embarrassingly late after a long night at the bar, hit up Red Fox Eatery or Campus Deli for some breakfast sandwiches to eat during the game. Red Fox and Campus D are right across the street from campus and next to Rite Aid; less than a 10-minute walk.

Saturday Evening

Give your pal the ultimate Marist experience by watching the sun set on the Hudson river. Walk down to the waterfront for a seriously insta-material sunset.

Sunday Morning

Help your friend nurse her hangover with every Marist student’s Sunday morning haven, Palace Diner. From breakfast burritos to sweet potato pancakes, there’s something to fuel everyone at Palace. It’s about a 15-minute walk from campus, but even closer if you’re living in Upper or Lower West Cedar. Just walk straight past Mike Arteaga’s Health & Fitness Center and you’re there.

Sunday Afternoon

The Walkway over the Hudson is a must for any Poughkeepsie visitor. Show your friends the beautiful views of the Hudson Valley after stopping for a quick bite at Lola’s Café (located right next to the Walkway). Lola’s will usually be packed on a Saturday, so my tip is to grab your food to go and eat at the picnic tables before starting your 1.28 mile walk on the bridge from Poughkeepsie to Newburgh. The walk from Marist to Lola’s and the Walkway is a little far, about 25 minutes, but I found it to not feel as long as it sounds. For the spectacular views and food, it was well worth it.

Julia is a Public Relations and Advertising major studying at Marist College. She has three loves: writing, eating, and traveling. Her lifetime goal is to pursue a career in which she can fulfill all three of these passions.