Dylan Gordon: The Boy Who Does It All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Name: Dylan Gordon

Age: 20

Major: Broadcast journalism

Year: Junior

Hometown: Wantagh, New York

Favorite color: Blue

Her Campus: So Dylan, what do you do around campus?

Dylan Gordan: I do a lot! I’m on the Executive Board of MCTV- I am the director of news. I’m in charge of running a new show we have called “MCTV Weekly News Update.” I’m also in MCCTA. I build sets for the plays and I’ve acted a couple of times. I’m actually going to be acting in Festival coming up at the end of April. I used to play rugby too but I got so busy that I had to drop that. I basically help out anytime anyone needs anything, like capping projects and so on. I like to help people.

HC: What is something that people don’t know about you?

DG: I’m colorblind- well a lot of people know that because I tell people, but if I’m meeting you for the first time then I doubt you’d know.

HC: What would you say is your biggest passion in life?

DG: I love being in front of a camera. Whether it’s acting or reporting the news- I get a huge rush when I’m anchoring. I also feel passionately about helping people. I’m a bit of a yes man- it’s why I’m a lifeguard. I like saving or helping people even knowing that I won’t get a thank you.

HC: What’s your craziest experience you’ve had working as a lifeguard?

DG: When I first started working at Jones Beach in Long Island, I was working at the pool there, which not a lot of people know exist. I like to go for runs while I’m there. This one day when I was going for my run, I was about a mile away and I hear 5 whistles blown from other lifeguards and you never hear 5 whistles blown because it signifies a submergence rescue which means someone is missing and might have drowned. They had all of the lifeguards sweep the ocean looking for a dead body. When we were down there I felt another person while I was swimming. I grabbed their arm, thinking it might have been the body but it grabbed back- it turned out to be another lifeguard but it scared the shit out of me. We swam for an hour looking for this guy but we didn’t find him. The following week my dad told me that they had found the guy that we all thought had drowned- he faked his own death and went down to Florida to collect insurance money- I actually wrote my college essay about it!

HC: That’s insane!

Yeah, it might be the entire reason I’m at Marist.

Are you single?

DG: Yes I am.

HC: What are some important qualities you look for in a significant other?

DG: Definitely a good sense of humor- they have to be able to genuinely find me funny. I love when people laugh at my jokes and actually mean it. I usually go for quirky girls. I think girls who are different are really special. I just generally look for someone fun and not boring. And most importantly they have to be able to put up with me and all of my quirks.

HC: Opinions on Tinder?

DG: I have one! I mostly use it as a joke. Every time I’m with a girl I delete it, but if it ends I re-download it. It’s quite a confidence booster.

HC: What are your three best qualities?

DG: Passionate, determined and fun!

HC: How important are your friends and family to you?

DG: I’m an extremely open book so I’m very close with my parents and my sisters. Whenever something comes up in my life I like to bounce ideas off of my friends too and talk to them to help me get through it. Friends and family come first; they are really important to me.

HC: What makes you unique?

DG: I’m a little crazy, not like a psycho-crazy, more a fun type of crazy. I’m easily amused. I can make light of pretty much any situation. I enjoy making people smile and laugh when they’re feeling down. I don’t take things super seriously; I like to be the comic relief.

HC: What are your hopes for your last year at Marist?

DG: I definitely want to leave MCTV with a good legacy. I want people to remember me. I want to have a job prepared- hopefully at a TV station. Maybe a girlfriend. And overall just have a great time; enjoying the time I have left with my friends

Katie is a senior majoring in English with concentrations in theatre and literature. She enjoys unnecessarily breaking out into song and dance, not being addicted to iced coffee and writing down everything that comes to mind.