A Definitive Ranking of The Best New Adult Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

While New Adult may not be a strictly defined genre yet, book lovers recognize its meaning. While many describe New Adult books as Young Adult with cursing and sex, this definition is unsubstantial. Held together by the common themes of two lovers with troubled pasts who defy extraordinary odds to be together, New Adult books fill the gap in the literary market for 18-25 year-olds. This demographic lacked a genre of books written solely for them, and New Adult is gaining credibility by satisfying the demand for more mature books than YA, but less of a commitment than a full-fledged, dramatic romance novel. If you are in a book drought, I’ve got you covered. This definitive ranking of New Adult books will keep your “To Be Read” list full for a while! 

15. Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Maybe Someday is more than a book. It is an experience. For this novel, Hoover teamed up with musician Griffin Peterson to create a collaboration of mediums for readers to enjoy. As you read the book, you will be prompted to listen to songs written by Peterson that are crucial to the story. A beautifully written story, Maybe Someday does not disappoint. 

14. The Mara Dyer Series by Michelle Hodkin 

Mara Dyer adds the element of fantasy to this list, as she is a troubled teenager who learns that she possesses magical powers which have made her feel like an outcast for her entire life. An intriguing tale, and if you are looking for your next easy read, you can finish these three books fairly quickly. 

13. November 9 by Colleen Hoover

This book tackles the interesting concept of two people who agree to meet on the same day every year. With the first humorous encounter between the two main characters, you will be hooked. Remember, always use the first stall in a public restroom (you’ll see what I mean). 

12. Confess by Colleen Hoover 

Not one of my favorite Colleen Hoover novels, but still worthy of mention, Confess mixes two mediums with the incorporation of artistic expression into the story. The story is enjoyable, but not on the same mind-blowing level as her other books. 

11. The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden Series by Jessica Sorensen

While this NA book is simply average, it does keep your attention when you are in desperate need of something to read. If Callie and Kayden aren’t doing it for you, try The Secret of Ella and Micha – same idea, different names. 

10. Wait For You Series by J. Lynn (Jennifer Armentrout)

In the atmosphere that Armentrout creates, you will feel like you have been adopted into a new family when you meet the characters of this book. From pet turtles named after Ninja Turtles to friends that are closer than family, the story of these two people will keep you reading until they find their happy ending.  

9. Lost & Found by Nicole Williams 

In Lost & Found, Nicole Williams puts a new twist on the troubled-girl-meets-good-boy plotline. When the protagonist is exiled to a horse ranch by her mother to learn some manners, she never expects to meet the love of her life and gain a new worldview during her time at the farm. 

8. Thoughtless Series by S.C. Stephens 

Stephens tackles the touchy subject of the difference between cheating and falling in love. Although somewhat devoid of substance, you will fall in love with rock star Kellan Kyle, and the epic relationship between the main characters. 

7. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Colleen Hoover’s most recent novel, It Ends With Us will make you so conflicted that you won’t know who to root for. Hoover grabs you attention with a sweet love story, but then makes you wonder if a daughter could unwillingly follow in her abused mother’s footsteps, when she has vowed all her life not to do so. Told in a series of journal entries intertwined with present-day events, It Ends With Us is truly a personal experience. 

6. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

You can’t help but love this hilarious and heartbreaking novel. When Tate Collins meets Miles Archer, it is the complete opposite of love at first sight. But as their relationship deepens, well, things get ugly. 

5. Hopless Series by Colleen Hoover

When Dean (Holder) meets Sky, he knows he has seen her before. As their relationship grows, Holder’s secrets about Sky’s past, and more importantly, her identity, threaten to change everything. 

4. Beautiful Disaster (Maddox Brothers Series) by Jamie McGuire

Jamie McGuire brings us perfection in the form of Travis Maddox, the reigning champion of an underground fight club at Eastern University. The love that blossoms between bad boy Travis and pedantic good girl Abby Abernathy spurns a series of books that will have you wishing that the Maddox brothers existed in real life. 

3. Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver 

A beautiful dystopian novel to rival The Hunger Games and Divergent, Delirium tells the story of a girl who falls in love in a society where love, or deliria, is seen as a disease. 

2. Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher 

This thrilling story of captivity has so many layers to it, you’ll be guessing until the last page. Protagonist Senna Richards wakes up on her 33rd birthday in a cabin in the middle of the snow, surrounded by an electric fence. She must piece together the clues as to why she was taken and who is responsible, all before she runs out of supplies. 

1. Slammed Series by Colleen Hoover

By far my favorite New Adult book and my favorite Colleen Hoover novel. As you may have guessed Colleen Hoover is one of my favorite authors. Slammed is one of her earlier books, but is one of the best. With slam poetry performances weaved within the prose, this book will make you fall in love with reading, and poetry, again. 

BONUS: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica 

Although I do not know that I can classify this as a New Adult book, but it is one of my favorite reads of the past few years. Fans of The Girl on the Train will love this suspenseful kidnapping story with an ending that you will never predict!