Campus Celeb: Jim Steinmeyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Inspiring is an understatement in describing Jim Steinmeyer’s presence in the Marist community, as he touches the lives of each person he meets. An adjunct English professor and professional theatre director, Jim has dedicated his time to enriching the Marist experience for all students, acting as a mentor and role model for all. He is a Marist alum who graduated in 1971. During his years as an undergrad, Jim majored in English and Education, under the instruction of the “fantastic” professors in the English department who remain some of his role models. Jim’s long time passion for theatre began late in his high school career and was enhanced by what he learned about theatre from his professors and directors at Marist. “One of the reasons I became an English major is that I love stories. And in theatre, you can really tell a story,” Jim says. He credits his Irish decent for his love of storytelling.

Jim was one of 3,000 in his “co-institutional” high school, meaning different wings within the institution separated male and female students. A little known fact about Jim is that he played varsity baseball for the first part of his high school career. Jim confesses that he “wasn’t a great player,” and that he was “the twentieth man on the roster.” His close friend on the team was involved in theatre and encouraged him to audition for the high school play. The timing was seemingly perfect because Jim’s baseball coach had just sat him down and suggested he quit baseball, telling him he “had other talents.” “I turned in my baseball uniform, auditioned for the play, and got a part,” Jim recounts. It was then that Jim performed his first role in Stalag 17, fell in love with theatre, and never looked back.

After performing in numerous shows throughout the remainder of high school, Jim decided to further his education by attending none other than Marist College. Jim spent his first two undergraduate years studying through Marist in Esopus, NY and preparing to enter the Marist Brothers. He spent the following two years studying at our very own campus here in Poughkeepsie, where he discovered yet another one of his passions: teaching. Jim decided to change course and discontinue on the path of entering the Marist brothers. He then became focused on his English and Education studies and pursuing theatre.

Since his high school acting debut and graduation from Marist, Jim has professionally directed countless productions. He has had a remarkably successful career in theatre and education, having taught both middle school and high school English in Poughkeepsie and Wappingers, as well as here at Marist.

Jim has a specific process when choosing a show to direct or produce. First, he decides whether he is looking for a comedy or a drama. He is partial to farce pieces when looking for a comedy and something heavy when it comes to drama. Most importantly, he must feel passionate about the show and he “wants the piece to teach something.”

Jim loves working with student actors and being able to share in their “ah-ha” moments. “They just ‘get it.’” The most difficult part of the directing process, Jim admits, is casting. “Just getting it right. Once you’ve cast, you’ve pretty much decided your own fate. It’s easier to cast professionally because those actors know how to audition well.”

Whenever asked to name his favorite production he has worked on, you can count on Jim to respond with “the one I am working on now.” If he had to chose his favorite musical he has directed, however, it was Les Miserables at Ketchum High School. The cast was “incredibly talented” and went on to do amazing things in theatre.

If you have yet to meet Jim Steinmeyer during your time here at Marist, you’ve made a mistake. “I’m so grateful to be around young, inspiring people, and to have spent my life doing this,” Jim says. “Do what you love and love what you do. I’m one of the lucky ones.”  

Photo Credit: Marist College Club of Theatre Arts

Anna is a senior at Marist College where she majors in Public Relations and minors in Theatre. On campus, Anna is a tour guide and student Ambassador . She performs with the Marist College Dance Ensemble, Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and Ulster Ballet Company. In-between sips of coffee and spoonfuls of Nutella you can usually find her scrolling through her iPod (which is loaded with country music, Italian rap, and musical theatre show tunes), watching How I Met Your Mother or The Office, laughing at her own jokes (which are known to always be punny, but never be funny), volunteering, or making plans to travel the world. Avid writer, reader, lister, and communicator.