This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Name: Emma Gage

Year: Junior

Hometown: Medina, MN

Major: Fashion Design

Favorite Food: Peanut Butter

Favorite show to binge-watch on Netflix: House of Cards

It’s no secret to Marist College students that our campus is filled with some ambitious individuals. One of the most motivated ones who I have met is Emma Gage, a junior Fashion Design major currently studying abroad in Paris. I was fortunate enough to meet Emma at the Summer Pre-College Program in 2012 and have followed her accomplishments over the last few years.

HC: What was the application process to become a fashion major at Marist?

EG: I remember being really excited to complete the process for applying to Marist. The project I had to do was completely different than all the other portfolios I had to do when applying to other schools. For the most part I was usually asked to just send artwork, which had nothing to do with fashion, but for Marist it was different. When I applied I was asked to create a portfolio inclusive of a small connection. For the portfolio I was asked to choose an inspiration, address current trends, design five garments in response to those trends and then explain why what I had designed was a good representation of those trends. Throughout the entire process I kept thinking to myself that out of all the portfolios I was asked to create, the one for Marist was my favorite because I was being asked to do the work I would be doing once I graduated.

HC: The Silver Needle Fashion Show is a big event for our fashion students. Have you participated in this event? If so, please elaborate.

EG: This past year, my sophomore year, was the first time that I showed in Silver Needle. I didn’t get to see my model in my dress, but I was lucky enough to have friends in the audience who sent me snapchats. Seeing something that I created go down the runway for the first time was absolutely amazing. That moment truly makes all of the hard work worth it.

HC: What made you decide to study abroad in Paris?

EG: When I was choosing where to study abroad I wanted to go somewhere that I knew would challenge me and would broaden my perspective on design and the aesthetic I want to follow. That being said, Paris seemed like the best option especially since I do not speak French. I knew that that would be enough of a challenge!

HC: What do you hope to gain through your study abroad experience?

EG: When I travel, my main goal is to absorb as much of a culture as I can. I love seeing how other people live day to day, how they feel and how they act. Everywhere has a very distinct feeling to it and I just really wanted to take in as much of that as I can. Living alone in a country where I don’t speak the language will really open me up to new experiences while shaping me into a different person, in a positive way.

HC: What other clubs are you involved in on campus?

EG: I take part in Catholic Connections, Campus Ministry, and Fashion Inc. I also play intramural volleyball and last semester I started playing intramural tennis.

HC: Can you please tell us about the scholarship you won last year? What was the application and selection process like, and what did you have to do to earn this scholarship?

EG: Last year I won the YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund scholarship. I first received an email late August explaining that I had qualified. You have to have a 3.0 or higher to participate. Over forty schools participate in the competition and each school can submit 10 scholars. From those scholars a board of directors will choose roughly forty to fifty winners. Each winning scholar is then awarded $5,000. The application process was extremely intense. Without having taken any business classes I was asked to create a case study along with a SWOT analysis for Lululemon while creating a marketing plan to re-attract their customer. For the marketing plan I was given a $1 million budget, which I had to distribute between six months. Then, I was asked to create a collection complete with ten garments, a mood board, and a three color stories. The garments would be distributed three times during the six-month calendar with fabric swatches to go with the looks. I then had to create a spreadsheet describing each garment along with the sizes and colors it would come in. During the middle of the project, professors from Marist picked the top ten students whose projects would be sent for review. Once that portion was complete I had a fifteen minute long interview with a representative from the YMA. Once all that was over I waited for the results. It was certainly a lot of work, but was unbelievably worth it. I learned so much from the entire process and I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

HC: Are you working on any projects currently, fashion or otherwise?

EG: This could be a very long answer! Right now I am working on quite a few projects. I am applying for the same scholarship competition that I did last year so I am working on that, but I also have a few personal projects that I am working on. Slowly, I am working on creating a non-profit for survivors of human trafficking. I am also partnering with a friend to address the rising luxury market in Africa. I am also working on a few fundraisers to raise money for Syrian refugees, women who have been saved from sex trafficking from ISIS, and fundraisers to help fight human trafficking. Another project I am working on is creating a fair trade pop up shop. It seems like a lot, but I am working with some incredible people who make the work very easy and enjoyable. I would also love to bring some speakers to Marist to discuss the topic of modern day slavery and how we as students can not only be aware, but can also make a difference.

HC: Have you had any exciting internships since you have come to Marist?

EG: Since coming to Marist I have had two incredible internships as well as countless other industry opportunities presented to me. During the second semester of my freshman year I began working with Betsey Johnson after meeting her at the MET over winter break. I was fortunate enough to continue working for her over the summer. Even though I am no longer interning with Betsey, I still keep in touch and help out when other shows come around. There was very much a family feeling working there. I was able to take part in almost every type of experience imaginable, which helped me learn so much about the industry. During my sophomore year I was able to work as a volunteer for fashion week, which was amazing. The second internship that I had was this past summer with Nicholas K. It was a small working environment, like Betsey’s, so I was able to get a lot of hands on experience specifically when it came to working with production, the showroom, photo shoots, and buyers. All in all, my experiences have all be very positive and I cannot wait to see what is to come this year! 

HC: What are your career aspirations?

EG: As I mentioned earlier, after I graduate I would like to create a non-profit that works with human trafficking, both sex and labor, survivors. This non-profit will be connected to the fashion industry. I also plan on working with a brand after I graduate in order to learn how the industry works and to see what I can do in the industry pertaining to fighting for human rights. Sooner rather than later, I will create my own brand that focuses on being sustainable and fair trade. In the long run I would like to see modern day slavery eradicated and any steps that I can take to help this cause in the course of my career are steps that I will always be proud of. Looking back at the past two years I never would have predicted all that has happened. I have had incredible career opportunities, while meeting some absolutely amazing people. Often I am told that I am lucky to have found what I am passionate about and I certainly do agree with that. However, it was a snowball affect. I always knew I desired to impact the world in a positive way, but it was never right now. It was always later when I had planned on establishing my career, but something changed and I realized I could make a difference now. Ever since that moment, my passion has continued to grow. I started asking questions and doing research. I presented ideas to people and discovered what was important to me. Finding what you are meant to do is not something that you can find on your own. It is a process and a lot of little things that add up to each other. At some point the “voila!” moment will hit. You can’t be chained to a set course. Before starting school my dreams for design were to go to school, work for a high-end designer, become the head designer of a company, and then be the next Coco Chanel. As I have grown, my path has altered, but it is always in the right direction.