Campus Celeb: Colin D’Amelio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Name: Colin D’Amelio

Year: Senior

Major: Senior Media Studies and Production with a minor in Advertising

Hometown: East Haddam, Connecticut

HC: What made you try out for Mr. Marist?

CD: I was actually approached by my good friend Nacho – who was on the Mr. Marist Committee – to come and try out for the show. Nacho somehow believed that I would be a good candidate and I thought it would be a fun and interesting new experience.  I also had a lot of people who were backing me up and reassuring me that I would be a good Mr. Marist which made me want to be a part of the competition.

HC: Any nerves on the big night?

CD: I love to perform on stage and I’ve been doing it for a long time either in talent shows or plays or more recently with the HuMarists and the shows we put on every semester. However, that being said, I still found myself being surprisingly pretty nervous because this was something I hadn’t ever really done before and I was put on the spot in four or five different ways. I did however make it my goal to have fun with this competition so I think that helped me be a little looser on stage.

HC: Your Marist registration song was genius. How did you come up with that? Have you always been into music?

CD: I don’t think I was expecting this song to be such a big hit but I’m glad everyone liked it so much. I’ve always been a creative person and I like to write songs or comedy bits. At first I just wanted to sing a normal song on my ukulele but I think a lot of people were expecting me to do something funny, so I thought I’d combine the two. I actually came up with the lyrics in a day or two and I tried to think of what were the usual side effects and tribulations that a lot of people go through during dreaded registration time. I’ve always been into music; I love to sing, play the guitar or the ukulele. Music has the ability to influence us and inspire us and I love making it. Even in my career goal as being a film editor, music plays a big role in connecting us with certain emotions and feelings and I love the power that it has over us.

HC: What has winning the competition meant to you?

CD: Winning Mr. Marist has been an exciting experience. I have to say it has been a confidence booster – especially being one the heaviest guys in the competition and winning. It also has been pretty amazing how many people have congratulated me and really liked my song. I really want to thank anyone who has done that and it really means a lot to me. I was just happy that I could make some people laugh and contribute to great show. I also have to thank all the people on the Mr. Marist Committee for doing a lot of work and putting a great show together and also for my lovely escort Jenna Snyder, who made me look more handsome standing next to a beautiful girl like herself. Mr. Marist is quite a cool title but at the same time it’s not as big of a thing as it may be portrayed. I’m honored to have won the title but at the end of the day I am truly just grateful to have such great friends to support me.

You can see Colin at the HuMarist’s show on December 11th at 9:30 p.m. in the Nelly.

Nicole Knoebel was the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Marist and is a former National Contributing Writer for Her Campus. She attended Marist College and majored in English (Writing) and minored in Journalism. Nicole has been an editorial intern at Marie Claire, Us Weekly, Seventeen and ELLE and spent a semester living in New York City to test out the Carrie Bradshaw life (minus the Manolos). You can follow her on Twitter at @nicoleknoebel!