The Best Moments from the 2017 Grammys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Hello, Adele.  Adele opens the show with an unsurprisingly flawless performance of her song, Hello. This was surely the calm before the storm—little did she know that she would be in for an emotional night. 

James Corden represents all of us when he falls down some stairs.

But then he gets his cool points back by rapping and throwing some disses at Donald Trump. 

Then Blue Ivy melts all of our hearts once we see her outfit is Prince influenced. 

Blue Ivy continues to save the Grammys by jumping in on the Cardboard Carpool Karaoke. 

Katy Perry gives a powerful performance and brings up the phrase from the Constitution, “We the People” in the background in an effort to put a stop to all of the hate currently taking place in our country. 

Next, Beyoncé.  Queen Bey never disappoints and this performance was no exception.  Between the mesmerizing visual effects that had me entranced from the start, that scary chair stunt that made me want to jump on stage and personally block her from any potential fall, and her empowering ode to motherhood, it’s safe to say that her performance was the highlight of the night. 

And then, she accepts her award for best urban contemporary album and gives a powerful speech on how she hopes to “give a voice to the pain” of people of color as well as expressing her hopes to inspire children around the world, of all races.  And she has her speech written on gold paper—the only kind of paper that should ever be in the hands of the Queen. 

Back to Adele.  Adele, we love you.  She gave a beautiful performance of Fastlove in honor of the late George Michael.  However, she made Grammy history when she asked to restart her performance after an iffy start.  She apologized saying, “I’m sorry, I can’t mess this up for him.  I’m sorry.  I can’t.”  However, the second time around, she did an absolutely amazing job and displayed a vulnerability that was refreshing to see.  What she did was honorable—she wanted to make this the best performance possible in order to honor George Michael properly—even if it meant embarrassing herself in the process.

Mr. & Mrs. Corden are my new favorite people TBH

Lady Gaga sure knows how to entertain.  When she jumped into a sea of people and crowd surfed, it was like I was having an involuntary urge to start jumping around while screaming and pumping my fists in the air.  A thrilling experience.

A Tribe called Quest gave an amazing, politically charged performance along with Consequence, Anderson .Paak and Busta Rhymes. 

And then Busta, called Trump “President Agent Orange” and pretty much made my night. 

Bruno Mars fully embodies the essence of Prince and puts on an amazing tribute.

Throughout this whole show, I found myself constantly hurting for Adele.  Besides the whole redo situation, she had a great night and won a ton of awards.  But even Adele said that a part of herself died when Beyoncé didn’t win album of the year.  She then went to say that she couldn’t accept the award because of how empowering Beyoncé’s album Lemonade was and pulled a mean girls by breaking the award in half for them to share. 

Same Adele, same.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.