Alumni Spotlight: Shannon McCormack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Often, we can learn a lot from those who have gone before us and already completed the things we’re still striving toward. In this case, I thought it would be a good idea to interview my sister, who just graduated from college last year, in order to help me find my footing this year.

Name: Shannon McCormack

School & Grad Year: Marist College Class of 2016

Major: Psychology with minor in Business

Current job: Preschool teacher

Current home: Boston, MA

Shannon with Patriots player Julian Edelman (can you say major PERK?)

HC: Tell us a little about your current job and how Marist prepared you for it.

SM: For almost 5 months now I have been working with 3 & 4-year-olds, helping them grow, learn, and develop. I am responsible for preparing them for Kindergarten academically and socio-emotionally. As a senior, I had an internship at a nursery school close to Marist which really helped me get ready for the classroom, as did my child development class.

HC: What do you miss most about Marist?

SM: To be honest, I miss it so much more than I ever thought I would. Most of all, there are two things I miss terribly; I miss my friends and all of the friendly faces I would see throughout my days around campus, and I miss having an identity and playing a role in different organizations on campus. You become a very small fish in a gigantic pond after Marist which is different for me.

HC: What was your favorite part of senior year?

SM: Hmm… this is hard to choose. If I’d have to say just one thing, it would probably be the leadership roles I held with some amazing people! I loved my job on campus and I was on the board of Habitat for Humanity and SGA, and all three were incredible experiences that helped me feel as though I was making Marist and the community a better place.

HC: Do you have anything you’d like to tell current seniors as they prepare for their last semester?

SM: Enjoy every second! I know you are stressed about your final courses, capping, and finding a job – trust me, I’ve been there. But please don’t let it swallow you whole. Take breaks, go to the dining hall with friends, explore the area around Marist, have movie nights, or just do whatever it is you love to do as a Red Fox because in the blink of an eye you will be sitting in a chair on the campus green in a cap and gown closing the Marist chapter of your life and opening an entirely new one.

HC: What’s the best part about life after college? The worst?

SM: The best part is being able to explore and live in a new city! Also, having no homework, papers to write, or exams to study for is incredible! The worst part is trying to meet new people and make new friends; it is not nearly as easy as it is in college. Oh, and paying bills. Bills are not fun at all.

HC: What’s one thing you wish someone had told you about postgrad life? What’s something surprising?

SM: Definitely how challenging it is to make new friends! I moved to Boston, a city 3 hours from my home and one that I hadn’t visited in 8 years. The only people I know there are 2 of my best friends since 2nd grade. We are trying to meet new people and are hoping to join intramurals to help with this! Fingers crossed!

HC: What’s your dream job?

SM: My dream job is to work in community relations and outreach, and using the platform that the job provides me to do what I can to raise awareness for different things and improve the lives of others and the community in any way possible.

Shannon (on the left) pictured with Lizzy Peper, one of last year’s HC Marist ambassadors