6 Reasons I’m So Excited for Rachel to be the Next Bachelorette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

After the season finale of the Bachelor Monday night, I felt relieved more than anything else.

Season 21 was… meh from the very beginning. The initial disappointment struck when the nation learned none of the hotties from JoJo’s season would return as the Bachelor. Instead of country hunk Luke or quietly charming Chase, we accepted a man who has already had three tries at finding love on the Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise.

Throughout the show, many conversations felt rehearsed, there was more ill-timed crying than necessary, and half of the season was dedicated to a 24-year-old millionaire who has a frisky side and loves naps. After all of that, I’m still not sure Nick Viall has found his happily ever after.

Related: 9 Signs You’re Just Waiting for Nick & Vanessa to Break Up

Whatever happens with Nanessa, I am overly excited for Rachel Lindsay’s season of The Bachelorette & here’s why: 

1. She’s a Bachelor Nation first. 

In over two decades of the Bachelor franchise, Rachel is the first African American to be cast as the lead. As she told Daily Mail.com, “It is a very big deal. I’m very honored to represent an African-American woman in this position.” It’s about time the show represents a diverse audience.

2. She’s strong AF. 

After being dumped by Nick, she came back into the spotlight practically glowing. At the After the Final Rose event, she absolutely stunned in a gorgeous jumpsuit and even more beautiful smile. While Raven revisited the heartbreaking day that she was rejected, Rachel proved that the break-up made her even stronger.

3. She doesn’t need a man to be happy. 

Rachel is a 31-year-old attorney from Dallas. She has a supportive family, an impressive job and a no BS attitude. Ring or no ring, Rachel will come out of this experience as strong and independent as ever.

4. She’s in it for the right reasons. 

As we saw from ATFR, Rachel is hopeful and excited to begin her run as the Bachelorette. She’s not desperate, as many assumed Nick was. She’s not outrageously confident, but rather optimistic about what the journey has in store for her. Overall she’s got a good head on her shoulders, which makes her a perfect pick for the position.

5. She’s entertaining to watch. 

Rachel’s personality shines, as she’s not afraid to be herself and show her goofy side. She’s sweet, funny and so easily likeable. While most people were bored of Nick by the time he had his run as Bachelor, the nation wants to see Rachel succeed. She’s a new face with a lot of life and love to give. And sometimes she’ll burst out singing and dancing for no reason, which is way cuter than Nick’s unattractive dinosaur walk.

6. The guys are…*insert heart emoji here*

In another Bachelor Nation first, Rachel and viewers alike were shocked to meet four of the men who will compete for her heart in the coming season. On live television, she’s already been sweet-talked, danced with and proposed to by the oh so smooth and confident, Demario (lucky girl). My money’s on him. If these guys are any sign of what the remaining contenders will be like, it’s safe to say we’re in for a sweet and sexy season.

Courtney is a Pop Culture Blogger for Her Campus National and contributor to the Her Campus Marist College chapter. She graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Communications, is an avid feminist and eventual professional journalist.