jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Enjoy Your Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Happy February loves! Can you believe Valentine’s Day is upon us already? It is a holiday that is meant to be fun, but unfortunately it can be very stressful due to the unrealistic expectations surrounding the holiday. Here are some easy and affordable ways to celebrate it on a busy college schedule. Why pass up an excuse to celebrate and have fun with loved ones?

Reach out

Valentine’s day is the perfect excuse to reach out to the people in our lives. It doesn’t have to be your significant other either. Have an old childhood friend you’ve been missing lately? Do you want to thank your mom for her amazing cooking or your roommate for putting up with late night study sessions? Expressing gratitude is scientifically proven to make you happier so take Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to reach out to the people you care about and let them know. Bonus points if you send a handwritten card or a fun animated e-card.

Bake

Valentine’s Day was always meant to be a sweet holiday, pun intended. It’s a great opportunity to escape gross college food and whip up some tasty pink and red treats. It doesn’t have to be a complicated recipe either. Local grocery stores are sure to be packed with premade cupcake batter and heart shaped cookie dough. Just throw it in the oven according to instructions!

Treat yourself

Self love is just as important as loving other people. You can’t fill from an empty cup after all. Why not take the day to order your favorite takeout, or relax with a facemask and a good movie? Nobody knows how to make you happy like you do!

Sing along

Nothing says romance like cheesy love songs. Why not host a karaoke night in your dorm room? Or just carve out some alone time and rock out to a playlist of your favorite and cheesiest romantic duets. Dancing is a easy way to burn calories, and it’s sure to put you in a loving mood.

Movies

Valentine’s Day is the perfect reason to indulge in those guilty pleasure rom coms. From older classics like Roman Holiday and Singing In the Rain to newer favorites like Pretty Woman, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before and Love, Simon, there’s plenty to choose from!  

Freshman at Marist College Fashion Merchandising Major Interested in politics , fashion, home decorating and popular culture!
Sarah Dorothy Lynch is a junior at Marist College studying Journalism and Public Relations with a passion for writing, travel, and bread (all varieties). If she ever met Emma Stone, she would likely keel over.