5 Reasons to Love HBO’s “Insecure”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

On October 9, 2016, HBO premiered the long-awaited Issa Rae project “Insecure,” a series modeled after her Shorty Award winning web series “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl.”  The series follows 29-year-old Issa, and her best friend Molly, as they navigate the trials and tribulations of life in south L.A., unfulfilling relationships, and the struggle to find joy in the workplace. Between jokes about “broken p****” and “secret emails,” “Insecure” offers incredible cinematography of L.A. in ways that stray from the typical glitz and glam we’re often shown. Rather, viewers see the city in its most humble and down to earth by way of taco trucks, small Ethiopian restaurants, and tiny apartment complexes. By episode four, it’s clear that “Insecure” has found its rhythm and wants to be the story we’ve been missing since the rise of black sitcoms in the 90s. For those who are unconvinced, here are five reasons why you should tune into HBO on your Sunday Nights. 

5. Issa and Molly are the perfect representations of you and/or someone you know. 

Issa and Molly are two best friends who know everything about one another. They’re also two sides of the same coin. Issa seems to have a stable job, loving boyfriend, and a roof over her head, but she’s dissatisfied because life isn’t exactly panning out the way she planned. And she’s bored. Molly, on the other hand, is living in a gorgeous apartment, has a high paying job, but doesn’t seem to have a lot of luck in the relationship department. They self-sabotage, they suffer from word vomit, they seem to lack some levels of self-awareness. They don’t have their lives together…but who does?

4. The show’s soundtrack is phenomenal.

The wonderfully talented Solange Knowles acts as the show’s music consultant, and it shows. The official playlist for “Insecure” features more well known artists like Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and The Internet, as well as lesser known artists like Gold Link, Kali Uchis, and Raphael Saadiq (who is also the show’s other music consultant).

3. No one is a stereotype.

In The Guardian’s review of the show, Brian Moylan states that, “[i]t’s not a great show about black people or a great show about women, but it is absolutely richer and more distinctive because of those things.”  This is what lends the show its voice. Instead of “Insecure” being about a blanket version of “the black experience” or a blanket version of what it means to be a woman, it’s a perfect mixture of both. Yes, there are situations that are relatable to every woman in her 20s, but there are also situations unique to black women, or black women from California, or black women who live in an urban area. But these elements do not pigeonhole the story Issa Rae is trying to tell.

2. Insecure is honest.

One interesting dilemma that Issa and Molly (somewhat) discuss is the concept of settling. As mentioned above, Issa has a boyfriend but wants more from her relationship, and Molly is single but struggles to find the right guy. Society often tells women that we should accept any person who wants us, “Insecure” tells us that it’s okay to want more for ourselves. But at the same time, we shouldn’t let the opinions of others stop us from going after what we feel is right for us. Of course, there are other lessons to be learned between the laughs. That’s the beauty of it!

1.Insecure is just plain funny!

Awkward run-ins at Rite-Aid, cringe-worthy first-dates, misunderstandings, and in-jokes are what make Sunday nights worth waiting for. While there are plenty of call-backs (and cameos) from the days of Awkward Black Girl, the jokes never fall out of favor. In fact, they’re just as funny (if not funnier) the second time around. Unless you want to become a spectacle, I’d avoid watching this show in crowded spaces. That is, unless, you’re willing to let others in on the joke.

Naja is currently a senior pursuing her English degree with a concentration in writing. You'll most likely find Naja in the Marist College library, with a large coffee, scribbling madly in her worn out journal. When she's not writing, Naja is actively scouring every bit of pop culture gossip she can find and exploring various genres of music. She is also an avid traveler (when given the chance). Naja has a deep belief in positive exploration, self-reflection, and the freedom to explore all that life has to offer!