5 Perfect Spring Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Now that warm weather has finally started to blossom, it’s time to take advantage of Poughkeepsie’s date opportunities.  After a winter of dinner dates with your boyfriend and the same-old activities with your friends, look no further to jump-start some unique spring adventures.

1. If you’re looking for a wallet-free date:

Marist is conveniently located about 1.5 miles from the longest pedestrian walkway in the world.  According to the Walkway Over the Hudson website, the bridge is 1.28 miles long.  If you are looking for an active way to spend more time with a significant other or a friend without spending your last paycheck, try a walk to the other side of the Hudson River.  The bridge is open from 7 a.m. until sunset, making it perfect for a morning or afternoon activity.  The Walkway often hosts walks, farmer’s markets and other events if you are interested in getting even more out of the day.  Plus, the walk is great exercise!

2. If you’re looking for a retro date:

If you are looking for another great way to avoid a stationary date, roller skating is located towards Hyde Park down Route 9 past the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidental Library. Hyde Park Roller Magic has open skate at night on Fridays and Saturdays and during the day on Saturdays and Sundays.  Skating will only cost you $6-$7 and rental skates $2-$4.  You have the option of sporting inline skates or rocking the real retro quad skates.    

3. If you’re looking for a nighttime date:

After trying to beat the heat all day, sometimes it can be nice to go outside to enjoy the cooler night weather.  Also located down Route 9 is Hyde Park Drive-In Theatre.  Nine dollars will get you in to see two feature films on weekend nights.  Tip: If you don’t want to look like a rookie, face the back of your car towards the screen.  Sitting in the trunk is the way to go! This can be a great activity for a romantic date or to have fun with a group of friends.  Bring blankets in case it gets chilly and be sure to pack your favorite movie snacks!

4. If you’re looking for Instagram worthy date:

Anyone who has visited Marist knows the beautiful view of the Hudson River from campus.  If you have not yet made a trek down to this scenic spot, the Midrise hill is definitely worth the walk.  The docks by the river make it the perfect place to spend some time during the day or evening.  Try packing a picnic ahead of time and enjoy the view while taking some memorable snapshots of your date that will be sure to earn tons of Insta likes from your friends.

5. If you’re looking for a throwback to winter date:

Still not in the mood for spring?  If you’d prefer to be walking in a winter wonderland than strolling outside in the sun, try out ice skating. The Mid-Hudson Civic Center houses the McCann Ice Arena,which has open skate hours in the spring.  Ten dollars will grant you admission to the rink and rental skates.  Daytime hours are on Mondays, Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Night skate is every Friday. Pretend it’s January instead of May and throw on a sweater and scarf as you try to master some new ice tricks with a date or friends!

Enjoy these last few weeks at school and try out some of the unique spots that Marist and the Poughkeepsie area has to offer!  Whether it’s with a significant other or a group of your best friends, there are tons of fun ways to add lasting memories to your time here at Marist.

Photo credit

Lizzy is a co-campus correspondent at Marist College where she is majoring in communication and minoring in studio art, spanish and psychology. She runs for the cross country and track teams, is a member of the dance ensemble and PRSSA and serves as the Class of 2016 President. Lizzy is a self-diagnosed peanut butter addict and a fan of snail mail. Follow her on Twitter @ellpeps.