Style > Beauty

4 Cruelty-Free Makeup Brands You HAVE To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I, like many others, have a deeply rooted love for makeup.  This love dates all the way back to 2005. At the tender age of 4, I was ready to put on a full face for a day at preschool.  Much to my dismay, my mother wouldn’t allow it. Nonetheless, 14 years later, makeup is a huge part of my identity, and still my biggest passion.

Makeup is considered to be cruelty-free when the brand producing the product does not test on animals during any part of the process.  While many brands still do test on animals, many others have taken steps to stop this cruelty, and to advocate for others to do the same. 

Below is a list of some of my favorite cruelty-free brands! 

Anastasia Beverly Hills

Let’s start with my favorite, shall we? Anastasia Beverly Hills offers a wide selection of makeup products, including their new foundation, multiple eyeshadow palettes, and of course, their claim to fame, eyebrow products.  

My Favorite Product:

If I had to pick a favorite, it has to be the Dipbrow Gel.  Full coverage, intense pigmentation, and a little goes a long way. Just brush it through your brows, and boom!  The brows of your dreams.

Where can I buy it?:

Ulta, Sephora, and Anastasiabeverlyhills.com

Covergirl*:

This brand is a classic!  You can find it in so many different stores all for a great price.  They offer foundations in multiple finishes, dozens of mascaras, and so many beautiful lip colors that anyone can find something they’re looking for. 

My Favorite Product: 

If I’m being totally honest, I am not the most avid user of Covergirl.  However, their mascaras are a tried and true product for both me and my mom (hi, Mom!).  Without fail, Covergirl has a mascara that will make my lashes look flawless.

Where can I buy it?:

Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Ulta, and Covergirl.com

Elf Cosmetics: 

If you haven’t heard of Elf yet, welcome to the bright side (or in the eyes of my bank account, the dark side).  With a wide range of amazing products, and a low price point, how could you not fall in love with this brand? 

My Favorite Product:

I haven’t found an Elf highlighter that I haven’t loved.  I was first obsessed with their baked highlighter (only $3 to glow for days), but I have recently found a new love with their jelly highlighter. Especially on top of a dewy foundation, you will be glowy AF!

Where can I buy it?:

Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Ulta, and elfcosmetics.com

Jeffree Star Cosmetics:

Hi amazing makeup, how are ya? Along with an amazing YouTube page, Jeffree Star never fails to deliver an amazing makeup product.  He is constantly creating high quality, highly pigmented makeup great for any makeup user.

My Favorite Product:

The liquid lipsticks are amazing. They dry down completely, but don’t leave your lips feeling dry.  They last all day, even through eating. My favorite liquid lipstick for sure!

Where can I buy it?:

Morphe.com, jeffreestarcosmetics.com

Want the name of more cruelty free brands? Check out Crueltyfreekitty.com!

Hey! My name is Anna and I am a freshman here at Marist. I am currently studying communications with a public relations concentration. I am an avid lover of makeup, all things glitter, and a lot of ice cream.