3 Memorable Moments from the 2019 Australian Open

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

The 2019 Australian Open, the first of the four tennis Grand Slam tournaments this year ended on Sunday. It was definitely a tournament to remember as we felt a range of emotions while watching some of our favorite players take the court under the hot Australian sun.

1. Andy Murray Announcing His Retirement

Andy Murray, the former  Men’s #1, shocked the tennis world by announcing plans to retire after Wimbledon. The news comes from his right hip injury, something that has hindered his game severely, explaining that the pain has become too much to bear. What broke hearts around the world is that he may not even make it to Wimbledon, which takes place in his home country of England.​

2. Naomi Osaka Beats Serena…Again

Naomi Osaka made a name for herself at the 2018 US Open back in September by beating the “unbeatable” Serena Williams. And she did it again. Up until Osaka came along, Serena time and time again won tournaments and was the most dreaded rival for any female tennis player. Osaka has won two consecutive tournaments (US Open and Australian Open) and beat Serena Williams in front of the world two consecutive times. There is definitely a bright future for this incredible and humble talent.​

3. Novak Djokovic’s Monumental Australian Open

Novak Djokovic is my second favorite tennis player of all time (right below Roger Federer, who is so incredible and holds a special place in my heart he deserves a whole article dedicated to him) had an absolutely incredible run at this year’s Australian Open. He pleased all avid tennis fans by reaching the final and going up against Rafael Nadal (my fourth favorite tennis player..yes rooting for someone during the match was hard). He ended up beating Nadal in the epic rematch of their 2012 Australian Open final. This marked his 15th Grand Slam title of his career. This is especially huge for him as he broke the tie with his idol Pete Sampras (who won 14). His new competitors for most Grand Slam titles are Rafa Nadal (who has 17) and Roger Federer who has 20 under his belt. Novak is also the first man in tennis history to win seven Australian Opens. It’s clear Djokovic isn’t slowing down any time soon.

Jana Brzovski is a junior at Marist College majoring Business Administration with dual concentrations in Finance and International Business and minoring in Economics and is the current President of Her Campus Marist. In her spare time, you can find Jana drinking Laughing Man coffee while Insta-stalking Kate Spade, anything Disney-related, or her favorite fashion brands. You can also find her watching Friends, the Office, Beverly Hills, 90210, or the Bachelor Franchise, eating her weight in food with family, or laughing with her friends.   
Sarah Dorothy Lynch is a junior at Marist College studying Journalism and Public Relations with a passion for writing, travel, and bread (all varieties). If she ever met Emma Stone, she would likely keel over.