25 Days ‘til Christmas at Marist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

25 Days of ‘til Christmas at Marist

After Thanksgiving break, we have exactly 25 days until Christmas! You know you’re a Marist student and the holiday season is upon us when your thought process resembles the following during the last stretch of school before Christmas:

December 1st: Okay. I can do this. Just a few more weeks of classes, then winter break. I’ll survive. Look! They’re lighting the tree in front of the Chapel. Marist at Christmastime is the best.

December 2nd: Ugh those sweet potatoes my dad made on Thanksgiving were ON POINT. And that pecan pie was just…no words. NO WORDS. I definitely gained 17 pounds that day, but I’m over it. I walked to class in the Fontaine Annex this morning so I worked it off. Oh awks. Class is over and I only thought about food….

December 3rd: YES! Women’s basketball game tonight! How do they deal with not going home for Thanksgiving? Like, are they not aware of the food situation? That’s enough of a reason for me to never play a D1 sport…

December 4th: Men’s basketball game! I really wanna go. I should probably start studying for finals, but…school spirit is just as important, right? I can totally start tomorrow.

December 5th:  Now would be a really fantastic time to make those study guides…but it’s Friday. I worked hard this week! What’s one more day of procrastinating, right?

December 6th: Ok. No distractions. It’s a nice, lazy Saturday…perfect for studying. OMG WAIT. IT’S SNOWING! GUYS LET’S GO SLEDDING AND MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE RIGHT?

December 7th: Guys…I’m brilliant…let’s do Secret Santa with our house!

December 8th: Well obviously I need to spend today shopping…this task will require all of my focus and concentration. I’m going to give the best gifts ever this year.

December 9th: Actually, I don’t think the color of this sweater is gonna work for my roommate. Back to the mall!

December 10th: It’s giving tree season! I want to put a lot of thought into gifts for families in need this year. What to get, what to get…

December 11th: I can’t wait to put my gifts under the giving tree. I hope the kids enjoy them! This is my favorite part of Christmas at Marist.

December 12:  Oh okay cool, my first final is in two days…what have I been doing for the past two weeks…. CUE SELF-INDUCED PANICK ATTACK

December 13th: Okay. Saturday. Time to power through. I’m just gonna sit down and study for the next 9 hours straight, then I’ll definitely be ready for Monday’s final. WAIT. PAUSE. The RA is having a gingerbread house-making contest?!?! I guess I can study later….this professor loves me anyway. Ok going to Rite-Aid. My gingerbread house better win. I will not accept anything but a victory. Go hard or go home and study.

December 14th:  Finals. Start. Tomorrow. No. Sleep. Til. Sunrise. Must. Get. An A. Dean’s. List. Awaits. Here. We. Go.

December 15th: Coffee: check. Sweatpants: check. #2 pencil: check. Ok. Let’s rock this.

December 16th: I know I should be focusing on finals, and I’m working really hard….but I’m starting to get incredibly sad about leaving Marist for 5 weeks. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITHOUT MY BEST FRIENDS AND THE STARBUCKS IN HANCOCK? 5 WEEKS? HOW IS SURVIVAL EXPECTED OF ME?!

December 17th: Ok. Need to power through these last few finals. Just a few more days until my long awaited reunion with my dog.

December 18th: We leave tomorrow? Should I start packing? Nah. That’s so far away (denial is in full swing at this point).

December 19th: YES. LAST FINAL DONE. LET FREEDOM RING. THIS MUST BE WHAT THE COLONISTS FELT LIKE AFTER THE BOSTON TEA PARTY. THIS IS INDEPENDENCE DAY. I CONQUERED YOU, FINALS…..wait my train is in an hour? Funny joke I refuse to get on it. Not going home. Nope. Can’t make me.

December 20th: *phone has not left face in 24 straight hours. Constant communication with friends at Marist is consuming every waking moment.*

December 21st: I love being home. This is the best. Friends, family, food, my dog…nothing could make me change my mind.

December 22nd: Ok I think I’m done with winter break. Is it time for spring semester?

December 23rd: SOS I MISS MY MARIST FRIENDS I REFUSE TO GO ON WITHOUT THEM.

December 24th: I love Christmas Eve. I wish my tree were as cool as the one at Marist….I wonder how much I would have to pay President Murray to let me chop it down and bring it home with me? I don’t think that’s unreasonable…

December 25th: MERRY CHRISTMAS! I got everything I wanted! Marist sweatpants, sweatshirt, t-shirt, coffee mug, ornament, lanyard…my family knows me so well. Impressive. So can I go back yet?

Photo Credit

Anna is a senior at Marist College where she majors in Public Relations and minors in Theatre. On campus, Anna is a tour guide and student Ambassador . She performs with the Marist College Dance Ensemble, Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and Ulster Ballet Company. In-between sips of coffee and spoonfuls of Nutella you can usually find her scrolling through her iPod (which is loaded with country music, Italian rap, and musical theatre show tunes), watching How I Met Your Mother or The Office, laughing at her own jokes (which are known to always be punny, but never be funny), volunteering, or making plans to travel the world. Avid writer, reader, lister, and communicator.
Marissa is a current Senior at Marist College studying English with a Literature concentration. She has minors in Psychology and Theatre, and is working towards a certification in Adolescent Education. Her biggest passion is the performing arts, specifically theatre. She is currently serving as the Vice-President of the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and the President of the Marist Chapter of Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theatre Honor Society. She is also an active member of the Marist Singers. After studying abroad in London last fall, Marissa has an obsession with all things British, and is itching to continue traveling the world. She is honored to be a Campus Correspondent for this chapter of Her Campus, especially with Nicole as a supporter and partner through this entire process.