22 Defining Marist Experiences

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

4 years, people. That’s all you get. Work hard, play hard, and never let your friends stroll around Poughkeepsie alone.

1. Watching that gorgeous Hudson River sunset from the windows of the library/cafeteria/gym/class/your dorm room.

Seriously, if you try hard enough, you can see the sunset from just about anywhere on this campus. #blessed

2. Walking to class throughout all four seasons of Marist: fall, winter, spring, and construction.

At least they’re constantly improving our school?

3. Gathering around to watch the seniors as they attempt their infamous slip ‘n’ slide right around graduation & booing as the security guards take it all away.

BUZZKILL.

​4. Squeezing your friends, their friends, their boyfriends, your chemistry TA, that guy you met at orientation, and half of your dorm into one cab on Friday and Saturday nights.​

Comfortable. 

​5. And then feeling like you’re at an auction on the way home trying to get the lowest bid on a cab ride

​6. Jumping into the gross and very unsanitary Hudson River at some point before you graduate but knowing it’s okay because every class before you has done the same and they’re still breathing… …right?

​7. Laying on a hilly stretch of grass right in the main area of campus that overlooks the water when you should be studying for finals in the spring and calling it “Marist Beach”

Or, sitting in class hating everyone who’s doing just that.​

8. Whether you read the book assigned for freshman year or not, your FYS will probably suck and you will probably get very little out of it, but, hey, it could always be worse. ​

You could have it at 3:30 on a Friday (if this is true for you, please know you’re in my thoughts and prayers).

​9. The confusion on your face when you see someone all dressed up for an 8 a.m. and then you remember that Marist has, like, an insanely good fashion programBut since the majority of us are not in said “insanely good fashion program,” sweatpants it is. Glad we’re all in agreement here.​

​10. Regretting your choice to eat at the cafeteria after your 5 o’clock class as the scene before you is complete and utter chaos.

It’s a dog eat dog world, my friends.

11. The awkwardness that was the freshmen red fox rumble 

You probably cut your shirt if you lived in Leo, won if you lived in Champ, and didn’t even know what was going on if you lived in Marian or Sheahan.  

12. Two words: SENIOR WEEK.

We’re talking house crawl, pub crawl, classy dances, bad romances, the whole nine yards. Consider yourself a true Marist student if, and only if, you make it out of this week alive and with a job still lined up for post-grad.

13. Sledding down the library hill

with your laundry basket/tops of storage bins/boxes/anything and everything you can find.​

​14. The Priority Points Housing System

Choosing friends, losing friends, making enemies ~ all part of the controversial priority points system.  Love it or hate it, the system is fair and gives the most supportive and academically accomplished students first dibs on housing. And if racking up priority points isn’t really your friend group’s forte, don’t worry, Gartland’s really not that bad.

15. Yelling with fright the first time you hear the stapler in the library​.

You’ll get used to it. Either that, or you’ll find somewhere else to study.

16. Getting excited every time you see DJM in the flesh

Admit it, you’re fan-girling right now.

17. Trying not to cry as you frantically run around campus after acquiring exactly 2 out of 5 classes for next semester (none of which are relevant to your major) as you beg teachers to override you in.​

Did I say please?

​18. Avoiding the Champ breezeway between the months of December-March

unless you don’t mind losing all feeling in your face, hands, toes, etc. and possibly being blown away. #WindTunnelsBITE

​19. The Giving Tree spectacle at Christmas time

With trees in almost every building on campus, it’s only right that you grab an ornament or two to help those in need.​

​20. RIVER FEST a.k.a. drinking ​legally ​with your fellow classmates and professors (wait what?) 

Yes, I said professors. Drink responsibly kiddos

​21. The “Friendless Fall”

BE WARNED – if you do not take advantage of the many study abroad opportunities during the fall semester of your junior year, you may be left very lonely and bored as half of your class is off gallivanting in Florence/Australia/Paris/WhereverTheHeckTheyAre.​

22. Spending an amazing four years studying, eating, partying, and laughing with a bunch of great friends who may or may not have once puked on your shoes.

(Sorry Kathy ♥)

Enjoy, fellow foxes.