11 Signs You’re Utterly in Love with Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Ah, coffee! Formally defined in the Oxford dictionary as, “A hot drink made from the roasted and ground bean like seeds of a tropical shrub,” the word has grown to be synonymous with “a girl’s best friend.” There’s many reasons for this: coffee will truly never betray you, and it is a steadfast companion. Read on to hear the 10 signs you are utterly (and completely) in love with coffee!

1. Your friends basically know you as the “Caffeine Queen.”

If you walk into a room without holding a cup of hot (or iced) coffee, everybody immediately knows something’s up. Why? Because you are NEVER seen without your signature beverage in hand! Everyone has their own personal brand, and for girls that are truly in love with coffee, it’s most definitely “Caffeine Queen.”

2. You could tell Starbucks and Dunkin drinks apart without even looking at the cup.

Yes, they DO have distinctly different tastes! To a non-coffee aficionado, these two brands might seem, logos aside, identical. A true coffee lover, however, doesn’t even need to glance at the cup to acknowledge the differences in taste between the two.

3. You own an ungodly number of travel mugs.

If your pals ever need a travel mug, whether it be hot or iced, they know who to call! All bona fide coffee enthusiasts own a minimum of five. This is fact.

4. You cannot ~properly~ begin your day without your kick of coffee.

Does a day actually begin until you’ve had your cup of coffee? Not truly, in your opinion!

5. You have done insane things, all in the name of getting that one wonderful cup of coffee.

Dashing across a street without a crosswalk, weaving through a street protest, and running full speed ahead into a crowded café and are all on the list of things I have done to obtain a cup. What about you? 

7. A good part of the reason you want to study abroad in Italy is because the Italians are known to have coffee down to a science.

It’s common knowledge that no one really does coffee like Italy! Therefore, you feel that you’d be at home in a country that is largely full of coffee enthusiasts like yourself.

8. Your friends are slightly worried about how dependent you are on coffee.

Yes, coffee is your boyfriend. No, it is not a cause for concern, friends. Move along.

9. Family members buy you Dunkin or Starbucks gift cards for the holidays.

Whether it be Christmas, Easter, Hanukkah, or otherwise, you’re guaranteed to get at least one gift card to a coffee shop.

10. You’re on a first-name basis with the baristas at your local coffee shop/the coffee shop on campus because you frequent the place so often.

They’re never shocked when they see you stop in multiple times per day to get your coffee fix.

11. You can’t even fathom a life without coffee.

Coffee is a lifestyle, and it’s the lifestyle for you. (Coffee) Cheers to that!  

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.