10 Ways to Get Yourself Organized this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Syllabus week has (sadly!) come to an end again, which means one thing: spring semester has begun and is in full swing! For most college students, this means the revival of long days spent in the library (not that anyone can really complain with the beautiful views from the James A. Cannavino library), drinking multiple caffeinated beverages a day, and setting your alarm clock for a little earlier than you’d like. But before your days fill up entirely with projects and homework to complete, be sure to first take some time to get yourself organized this semester so you can make it the best one yet. Read on to find out how!

1. Get a planner…it’s a girl’s best friend! If you don’t already use one regularly, do yourself a huge favor and invest in a planner that you’re going to enjoy writing in. Lilly Pulitzer, Kate Spade, and Ban.do have some adorable ones that will make you smile every time you look at them (even if you have a test, two projects, and several readings due the next day). As a general rule of thumb, always keep your planner in your backpack, and as soon as an assignment is given, make note of it! It seems silly, but just by physically jotting down the assignment you have to complete you’re more likely to remember it than if you were to, say, put it in a calendar on your phone. Furthermore, it’s especially rewarding to have a paper planner because you have the ability to cross items off of your list as you go so you can clearly see how much you’ve gotten done. It’s a win-win!
  2. …and a good list is a girl’s other best friend. Starting your morning by writing down everything that you have to get done by the end of the day gives you a visual reminder of what you have to do, so list-making is an extremely effective way to ensure that your tasks actually get completed. Making a detailed list allows you to visually see where you spend the bulk of your time, so you can make adjustments if necessary. Futhermore, writing a list is an efficient way of dotting your I’s and crossing your T’s because if you see what you have to do during the day, you’re much less likely to have anything slip your mind!
  3. Try to do homework the day it’s assigned. The key word here, of course, being ‘try!’ Even if you just start reading the first five of the thirty pages that are due next class on the day that they are assigned to you, you’re going to feel a lot better about picking up the work again because you already have a head start.
  4. Make sure your backpack has everything you need in it. Packing your backpack with everything you need for the day the night before is a simple (yet effective!) way to make sure you don’t forget anything… especially the ten page paper you spent hours working on! Also, never forget to keep essentials such as extra pens, highlighters, hairbands, and mints in your backpack. You never know when you’ll need them.
  5. Kiss procrastination goodbye. Out of all the items on this list, this might be the hardest one to abide by. This semester, make a dedicated effort to stop waiting for the last minute! You’re making it so much harder on yourself when you decide to spend hours scrolling through Instagram to procrastinate instead of getting the work you need to have complete, done.
  6. Set a day to do your laundry…and stick with it! No one likes doing laundry. It’s time consuming, laborious, and frankly, boring. But picking a day to do your laundry (whether it be a Sunday, or a day you don’t have many classes) will ensure that it gets done for the week, so when you’re looking for your favorite pair of leggings, they won’t be in the hamper.
  7. Try to find some balance. As soon as the semester really kicks into gear, it can be difficult to maintain a decent sleep schedule, keep up with friends, clubs, and homework. However, try your hardest to find some balance for yourself. And remember, as long as you’re trying the best you can, that’s all that matters.
  8.  Dress for yourself, and put your outfit together the night before. Try to get into the habit of wearing outfits that make you feel comfortable and content in your own skin. It’s not a load of fun to wake up a half an hour earlier to put on makeup, do your hair, and get changed into your favorite outfit (if that makes you feel more confident), but you’ll instantly feel more prepared to take on the day when you feel sure of yourself. Pro-tip: putting your outfit together the night before (or at least thinking about it before you go to bed!) makes waking up and getting ready so much easier (and quicker!).
  9. Hit the gym! Go with a group of friends to the gym a minimum of three days a week (even if it’s just for an hour), and you’ll feel better about yourself immediately. Taking care of yourself physically makes a world of difference when it comes to self-esteem and confidence. Furthermore, heading to the gym is a great way to clear your mind after a long day of classes! Head to the treadmill or get on a bike and re-watch your favorite show on Netflix as you exercise to relax.
  10. Make time to do things that you care about. Getting organized is all about being a better version of yourself. As mentioned before, balance is absolutely necessary to be at your best. So, make time to do the things that you care about. Get tickets to see a Broadway show with your friends on a Sunday, or see a movie you’ve been excited for, or re-read your favorite book when you have some time. You can be the most organized, put-together person on campus, but if you don’t have time to do the things that make you happy, being ‘organized’ and ‘put together’ doesn’t mean much. So this semester, be sure to have ample ‘me’ time…you deserve it!
Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.