sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Week: 5 Scariest Places To Visit in the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manipal chapter.

Halloween is one of the oldest holidays celebrated around the world. Since it’s all about ghosts and spirits, what better way to make it spookier than learning about the top 5 haunted places all over the world! 

There are numerous haunted houses but the ones listed below definitely spooked me out. 

The Chateau de Trecesson – Brittany, France 

The story behind this is that a thief who had been lurking around the house saw two men dragging a young woman in a bridal gown and throwing her body into a hole. Terrified, he goes back home to tell his wife about what he saw and that he heard them saying that the young woman had ‘dishonored the family.’ The wife asks him to go back and save her. However,  by the time he gets there, the young woman is dead. Since then, The Chateau is said to be haunted by this young bride. 

Morgan House – Kalimpong, India

Legend has it that Mr. Morgan would torture his wife, and this led to her falling into depression. Soon Mrs. Morgan died and Mr. Morgan abandoned the property. After years, the Indian government took control of it and began running it as a boutique hotel. The blood-chilling part is that people continue to report hearing the tapping of Mrs. Morgan’s heels in the hallway. 

Cachtice Castle – Slovakia 

This location was not just used in the horror film Nosferatu but was also the home to Countess Elizabeth Bathory, the world’s most prolific serial killer. She is believed to have murdered around 600 women here. She was also placed under house arrest for four years until she was found dead in 1614. 

Paris Catacombs – France 

This place was originally created to decrease the burden of the city’s overflowing cemeteries. It has the bones of over 6 million people stacked into elaborate patterns for travelers to explore. Not me for sure! 

Stanley Hotel – United States 

The infamous hotel in Colorado with 142 rooms has gained a reputation for the paranormal. Travelers who are brave enough to face this activity spend a night here and also take part in the guided tours to spaces said to be especially saturated in supernatural activity. This also inspires Stephen King’s classic novel, The Shining, which you may recognize to be the same novel that Joey kept in the refrigerator in Friends!

All these stories and places may not seem terrifying to you right now but I’m sure they would send shivers down your spine if you went there and happened to see or hear something abnormal. I am personally one of the last people to visit such kind of haunted houses. I can’t even enter my room if it’s dark. So I hope you guys have the guts to visit these places and had a great haunted Halloween! 

Sheen Gurkha

Manipal '21

I write till my heart fills with satisfaction.