Anna Schultz-College Hat Flat Lay Cropped
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

A Fresher’s Guidebook to Manipal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manipal chapter.

Edited by: Anushka Shrivastava

If you’re reading this, you are probably a fresher searching for tips to survive in Manipal (in that case, welcome!), or you are already a part of this university but forgot how to function (very much like us!). Even though the pandemic might have changed how the initial time in college would look like for freshers, we provide you with an essential Manipal guide for now and when(ever) we’re back on campus! 

Your Great Escape

Manipal is an incredibly scenic town; there are tons of locations to visit in and around the town. While you could visit Udupi and Mangalore, or go to End Point for the stunning sunset (and take credit for the great pictures), you can also go kayaking near the Hanging Bridge or visit St. Mary’s Island with its clear blue water. There is another kayaking spot near Mulki, and if you are a Mangalore kid, you can even enrol yourself at surfing classes in the summer! If you love being high above the clouds, you can visit Kundadri and Agumbe hills, and view the stunning Jog Falls.

Kundadri
Original photo by Divya Krishnan

Manipal Weather

As incredible the evening skies in Manipal are, the other extreme is its weather. It will be humid and hot in the summer; however, it probably is the rainiest place in the country during the odd semester. This is why the Umbrella is the peculiar best friend of everyone here, and you *must* protect it at all costs! Here are some tips:

• During the rainy season, make sure you have a laundry schedule since clothes take longer to dry. 

• Think about either getting a waterproof bag or a waterproof cover to keep your bag dry. 

• Take special care of your clothes because they can catch fungus quite easily. 

• During summers, for the students with non-AC rooms, the library is your ‘only’ escape. 

benches in manipal on a rainy day
Original photo by Sreya

Good Cheap Eats

Are you broke yet can’t deal with the mess food? There are some excellent but affordable places for your rescue. 

• Sindhi Mess (situated in the campus) is an excellent option if you want some homemade food. If you’re craving authentic South Indian food, a meal at Madhuvan Serai is inexpensive. 

• Visit Pind Punjabi, if you’re missing Punjabi food,  

• If a good fruit bowl is your wish after a workout or just a good evening snack, then the Fresh Juice World near The J is made just for you. They have an assortment of fruits, and you can choose how big you want your fruit bowl to be.

• Finally, the ideal place for a dinner with your friends would for sure be Laughing Buddha. But you might want to make a reservation, or you’ll have to wait for hours!

Bus>>>Auto Rickshaw!

The first time I visited Udupi, I spent a lot on transportation as I travelled by an auto-rickshaw. Life would have been so much easier if I had known that taking the bus was way cheaper. A trip to and fro by Auto-Rickshaw can cost Rs. 180, and the same distance on a bus is just Rs.18! Besides these, we also have vehicle renting services for all sorts of road trips. Certainly makes up for the absence of Ola!

A day in the life on a rickshaw driver. Stuck in traffic.
Photo by Aditya Rathod from Unsplash

But, do you have enough change?

GPay and Paytm made our college purchases extremely convenient. So, it is easy to underestimate the power of loose change. Now, these may not work at times because of network issues, and most of our beloved autowalas don’t accept anything but cash. So it is essential to have smaller currency notes. If you are running around with a 500 rupee note, the Campus Store is a great place to get that loose change.

Don’t end up broke mid-month! 

Take it from anyone on the campus— the freedom is a little intoxicating. Even when you discover the high of a shopping spree, or ordering food every day, don’t give in! Attempt to maintain a budget. There are tons of apps to help you keep track, like NerdWallet, Mint, and PocketGuard (this isn’t sponsored btw)

Try to wash your clothes yourself (like shirts and shorts) to save up on laundry. Think twice before spending; ask yourself if you really need what you are going to buy. You might buy an exam month stash, don’t go around buying everything in the shop. Most importantly, take the bus, or walk if you can! Auto annas rob you in the slyest ways; you’ll probably end up with an empty wallet mid-month wondering where all your money went.

When it gets too stressful

College life is loaded to the brim with things to do, and it is difficult not to feel overwhelmed. Time management is best learnt at the earliest, to save yourself from that stress and anxiety later on. Use a journal or applications such as Evernote or Notion to keep track of your schedule; your sleep cycle will thank you for it. After stressful days, you can wind down the way you want, be it a hang-out session with friends at Student Plaza, or in your room with some good Netflix shows. 

student plaza mit
Original photo by Swagat Sarkar

A club for everyone!

Manipal has loads of student-run clubs and organisations. If you’re interested in it, there is a club for it! 

There are media bodies like Her Campus at Manipal and The MIT Post. The Photography Club, Manipal is great for those drawn to photography. Furthermore, music lovers will find that Chords&Co and MAFIA are excellent options. Drama and film lovers have AAINA, ADA, Naqaab and Behind The Scenes. Not to forget The Manga and Anime Club and the MIT Gaming if that’s what you’re into. All this and we have barely scratched the surface.

To know more about the clubs in MIT, make sure you check out the event CAMBIAR by Leaders of Tomorrow. Catch them live on YouTube this November.

The MAHE Support Centres/Counsellors are always there for you!

We all have times when it feels like everything is out of control. For such days, the Student Support Centre (SSC) is a safe space to talk about your issues. MIT and MIC also have their student counsellors, who are known to be friendly and approachable. No matter what your problems are, don’t hesitate to seek help. SST is a student-run organisation that offers a safe space where you can talk and share. They further help set up appointments with counsellors.

photo of the dropboxes created by student support team at manipal
Photo by Her Campus at Manipal

Utilise your college years well, but don’t stress yourself out

You only get a few years of college in life, so make the best of it. Indulge in academic projects, learn new skills, make friends, and explore your interests. However, college life presents us with a lot to work on, and it can get overwhelming. It is essential to recognise that it is okay to feel this way. The world won’t end if you don’t study, discover a new beach or party a day. It is perfectly normal just to want to relax. In the end, you’ll look back and feel nothing but joy and nostalgia of your life in Manipal. 

With the current pandemic, circumstances might be different, but this is what the entire experience would (hopefully) feel like and might come in handy. To all the freshers, welcome aboard! We hope you have a great time here.

Swagat Sarkar

Manipal '23

Just another kid trying to make sense of the world.
Mridula Rao

Manipal '22

A EEE student, somehow surviving with two brain cells. Addicted to stories, desperately waiting for the time when she finds a dragon egg.
Bhavya is a second-year undergraduate student at Manipal Institute of Technology majoring in Chemical Engineering. Finds comfort in music and a hot cup of coffee.