mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Everything you need to know about the Hong Kong Protest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manipal chapter.

The protest in Hong Kong began in 2019 in opposition to a propounded extradition law that would have allowed the transfer of  escapees to Mainland China under certain circumstances. The movement took on a greater global importance when the protests grew violent as we see of today.

Going back to History:

Hong Kong was a British colony until 1997, and it was then returned to Chinese rule under a policy known as “One country, two systems.” The policy made Hong Kong part of China but allowed its citizens to have their rights such as freedom of speech. The territory has its own laws, system of government and police force under a mini-constitution known as the Basic Law. 

About the Protest: 

The bill was introduced by the Local Government in March 2019, which stated that the criminals would be sent to places with which Hong Kong had no extradition treaty. Mrs. Lam, the city leader, felt this would guarantee the justice needed. However the critics felt that this could sabotage the city’s judicial system and also risk the people of Hong Kong to unfair trials and brutal treatments. Hence, hundreds of thousands of people joined a march to oppose the bill in June. After weeks of protesting, Carrie Lam agreed to suspend the bill, and it was done so in September 2019. However, the protest grew violent when the police began the use of pepper spray, batons and more than 150 canisters of tear gas to disperse the protestors. Protestors felt it was “too little, too late” when the bill was withdrawn in September and feared that it would be revived again, and so continued to call for a permanent withdrawal of the bill.

Back in July, protestors stormed the parliament, vandalizing certain parts of it. In August, one of the protestors was injured in the eye, that lead to the demonstrators wearing red colour eye patches to demonstrate their unity. Violence has been prevalent from both sides; the demonstrators have thrown bricks and Molotov cocktails ,and in one case stabbed a police officer. The protestors were infuriated when the police fired a live shot at an 18 year old’s chest and demanded an investigation of the police force which was refuted by the leaders.

The protestor’s fuelled anger towards the police authorities buttressed with their intention of protecting Hong Kong’s freedom has led to growth of their demands. Their motto, “Five demands, not one less!” includes for the protests to not be considered a riot, amnesty for arrested protestors, an independent inquiry of the police force and an implementation of complete universal suffrage which was been met with the withdrawal of the bill.

The protests has received global support, with rallies taking place in other parts of the world.

Khushi Sinha

Manipal '23

Penultimate Year Student at Manipal Institute of Technology and Writer at Her Campus Manipal..