This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Say goodbye to the beach waves and high ponytails of Summer because Fall is right around the corner, and with it comes a bunch of cute and trendy new hairstyles to try. As we prepare for the season of apple picking, pumpkin patches, and warm cozy sweaters, here are a few seasonal hairstyle ideas to compliment your Fall wardrobe. 

Ballerina Bun 

It’s no secret that ballet-inspired fashion has dominated on and off the runway in recent years. What better way to embrace the trend than with a chic, low-maintenance hairstyle that keeps those pesky loose strands out of your face, especially on a windy Fall day? The key to the perfect ballet bun is sleekness. Some actual ballerinas recommend braiding your hair before coiling it on top of your head, but if that’s too many steps, you could always use a few bobby pins to keep your bun in place. The ballet bun is the perfect no-fuss hairstyle for running errands, meeting a friend for a walk through the fall leaves, or dancing around at a pre-party hangout. 

Ribbons 

Need a cute, simple way to elevate any hairstyle? Your answer is always ribbons! Not only are ribbons adorable, they’re also incredibly versatile. For an effortless 1960s Nouvelle Vague look, choose a thick black or velvet ribbon tied in a floppy bow. For a more modern, trendy vibe opt for a couple thinner ribbons. These look especially Pinterest-worthy tied around braids or securing low-space buns. Red and pink seem to be the most en-vogue ribbon colors this season and pair perfectly with a fuzzy sweater and a pumpkin spice latte. 

Bouncy Blow Out 

With the end of Summer comes the end of dreaded summer humidity, and even though we’re all more than happy to kiss the frizz goodbye, it also means that our hair might need a little extra volume. That’s where the bouncy blowout comes in. Channel your inner Julia Roberts or Cindy Crawford with big, big hair full of movement and shine. There are a couple of different ways to achieve this hairstyle; you can use your favorite heat protectant or hair oil with a blow dryer and a round brush. Or if you have a little more time (and want to spare your arms the workout), you can kick it old school and use rollers. This hairstyle would be absolutely adorable for a cozy Fall dinner date, a school formal, or a night out on the town with your besties. 

Half Pigtails 

While pigtails may never fully escape their elementary school picture day image, they can actually be an easy, fashionable way to deviate from your usual ponytails and braids. In fact, style muses such as Brigitte Bardot have been rocking super chic pigtails for decades. If classic pigtails are still a little too Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for your liking, then half pigtails are a trendy compromise- all the benefits of a half up, half down hairstyle with a little more added oomph. Half pigtails are a fun and festive style that you can wear to class, a Friendsgiving celebration, or while attending holiday festivities with your family. 

Headbands 

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or find yourself suddenly regretting your impulsive post-breakup bangs? Or maybe you just want something a little extra to spice up your everyday hairstyle? Lucky for you, headbands are always in season. While cute velvet bands and classy pearl details will never go out of style, Fall 2023 is all about the athleisure headband. This thick, stretchy cloth headband will keep your strands in place and emanate off duty model elegance. Headband hairstyles are the definition of multiuse. They can take you from the gym, to the lecture hall, to the city, all while keeping you looking trendy and keeping your ears safe from the Fall chill. 

Siena DeMarco

Manhattan '25

Hi! I'm Siena, I'm a sophomore English major at Manhattan College with a love of writing, sappy poetry and reality tv. I’m the Assistant Campus Coordinator of our Her Campus chapter and am very excited for the year ahead! On campus, I’m also a member Alpha Pi Phi sorority where I serve as external programming officer. I care deeply about uplifting and supporting my fellow girls and am excited to continue to do so by joining Her Campus!